• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

When will we see CBS 58 in HD on Dish Network?

Started by brewtownska, Tuesday Aug 11, 2009, 08:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

Quote from: kevbeck122;55516DIRECTV has officially carried 58 in HD since August.. no need to catch on.

Directv has also carried CW18HD as well, bring the total offerings to 5 HD locals to Dish's only 3 locally and Directv does not charge extra for local channels.

Dishnetwork in Chicagoland carries 5 HD locals as well, Milwaukee's offerings from Dishnetwork is still missing the other 2 HD locals.:(

jeaves79

:mad: Seriously Jim Hall, WTF is CBS58's problem?  DirecTV has your HD feed, is it really that hard to make a deal with DISHNetwork to carry your HD feed?

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: jeaves79;55664:mad: Seriously Jim Hall, WTF is CBS58's problem?  DirecTV has your HD feed, is it really that hard to make a deal with DISHNetwork to carry your HD feed?

At risk of stating the obvious, that's business in the world of local exclusivity.  

Why are you assigning all responsibility to Hall?  He's probably asking Dish for the same amount DirecTV is paying, but Dish uses the fact that they drive a harder bargain as a selling point.  

If Hall signs with Dish at a lower rate than DirecTV, what happens when he has to re-negotiate with DirecTV?  Instead, he's hoping that a significant number of Dish Network's Milwaukee customers complain and ultimately cancel.  

At some point, Dish management says, "Hey, we are losing customers in Milwaukee because we aren't carrying CBS58 in HD!  This is going to cost us big!  We're better off increasing our offer to Hall!"

Of course Dish has made it convenient to connect a terrestrial antenna.  This reduces both their incentive and their need to pay more to locals that they feel are asking too much.  

Hall's job is to make more money for Weigel, not to make Dish or its subscribers happy.  If that means holding out and taking a long view, that's what he does.  If that means charging more or less for ads, that's what he does.  He's got a sanctioned monopoly on CBS programming in this market, and you have to expect him to take full advantage of it.

pgkuchar

I read on another forum the local Milwaukee CBS affiliate has given DISH permission to broadcast their programming in HD since July 2010.  But still no HD on DISH.

So now the culprit isn't CBS or WDJT, it's DISH getting its act together and getting the signal out.

gparris

Quote from: pgkuchar;56297I read on another forum the local Milwaukee CBS affiliate has given DISH permission to broadcast their programming in HD since July 2010.  But still no HD on DISH.

So now the culprit isn't CBS or WDJT, it's DISH getting its act together and getting the signal out.

As for me, who is fence-sitting on going to Dish or Directv, the preference is for HD locals first, since I never had good luck with antennas (nor want one to begin with), the choice will be Directv for HD service vs. Dishnetwork.
Although Dishnetwork has more of the HD channels I want, it is preferred, but because Directv HD has more HD locals that are available, that's what I will go for/want (when I move).
However, if Dishnetwork offers at very least CBS58HD (for at least 4 HD locals) that could tip the balance of choice back in their direction.
But it still isn't what is offered in Chicagoland, with their addition of CWHD, too, but its a start, as I have my CW favourites.
So if Dishnetwork wonders why I would go to Directv instead, it's the HD local channel availabilty on their sat I am looking for, but that's me.:D

brewtownska

It's finally here!  Last night I went to watch Craig Ferguson's show, and couldn't find 58 in my channel guide.  I went to edit the channels, and found the HD version was now the only one available and I had to enable it to show in the guide.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Talos4

gparris

It shows CBS58HD in the Dish site too, why would Fox6HD be a problem, Talos4?:huh?:

Talos4

Quote from: gparris;56523It shows CBS58HD in the Dish site too, why would Fox6HD be a problem, Talos4?:huh?:

http://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/dishvsfox.html

gparris

brewtownska

Just a helpful hint with the Dish version of CBS 58.  The previous DVR recording passes I had programmed for CBS 58 shows did not work yesterday.  Seems they tie to the old SD channel which is no longer available.  So tonight I had to delete each recording pass and setup again.  Just figured I'd pass that along in case it saves someone from missing a recording.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

hoophead

Nice catch!
LONG overdue by Dish&58

Now, if I can get my antenna re-pointed properly towards Madison I will once again receive both Milwaukee and Madison channels....:D