News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Let's discuss how the Milwaukee stations failed hard with election coverage tonight

Started by Xizer, Tuesday Sep 14, 2010, 10:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xizer

TMJ4: Horrible squished picture. Massive bar with election percentages the bottom. Bar appeared to be 480i? It was obviously standard definition, and appeared to have a massive, constant interlacing problem. FAIL.

WDJT: It's nice to see Milwaukee's CBS affiliate continuing its long-standing tradition of shitty broadcasting. Watching Letterman sure was a treat because it was it was switched to 4:3 SD with obnoxious 4:3 SD graphics overlaid at the bottom.

WITI: Kept the picture in HD amazingly. But they cropped it down and surrounded the picture with blue bars on three sides. Why was this necessary? Like all the affiliate solutions it was pure, unfiltered ass.

WISN: You think you guys can get anymore redundant? Picture dropped to standard def, cropped on three sides. WISN-TV splattered all over the place. The ****ing "12" logo plasted in no fewer than 3 different places on the screen. If I see that *****  *** logo one more time I'm going to punch somebody.

The CW and MyNetworkTV didn't give a **** about these elections. Good on you guys.

Just another example of why satellite is the way to go. Stupid affailiates.

WITI6fan

WTMJ has no excuses now. Their weather ticker system is capable of running election returns and school closings according to the information on AccuWeather's website.

WDJT should have November election returns in HD. I'm told CBS sent out election return templates for their Lidia HD character generator a while back.

WISN? At this rate, enjoy your 4:3 SD picture when the school closings start rolling in this winter.

ArgMeMatey

oz

Nice post!  There were indeed some sad displays.

It looked like TMJ4 had a bunch of extra space below their results that did nothing but take up space.

SRW1000

This isn't picture related, but one thing I noticed was that WTMJ's election results were more current than WITI's.  At one point, WITI was showing something like 18% of the vote in for one race, and WTMJ was at 26%, and that spread stayed that far apart for something like 20 minutes.

I didn't check out the other stations, though.

Scott

WPXE ION

:OnAir:

The use of foul language should be enough. :mad:

:deadair:

I dont mind anyone being critical here, but c'mon do you have to rant on like a 15 year old???

{fart}

duncantuna

I loved the rant and its salty language.  Even read it to my wife, who is very anti-potty mouth.

WPXE ION

And you wonder why no one from those stations post here? Except Chuck from Fox once in a while.

Xizer

You can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. What's someone who can't handle a few curse words on an Internet message board doing running a TV station? :confused:

murdoc

Quote from: Xizer;56236You can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. What's someone who can't handle a few curse words on an Internet message board doing running a TV station? :confused:

Agreed.  Plus we all know that they are too busy trying to come up with the "next great thing" to further diminish the limited bandwidth and degrade our picture quality.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: murdoc;56237Plus we all know that they are too busy trying to come up with the "next great thing" to further diminish the limited bandwidth and degrade our picture quality.
Absolutely.  I've already sent a letter demanding my refund.  

But seriously, while there is no law against griping or swearing, and I am pretty sure we are all at the mercy of the forum operators, we should be asking ourselves if the language is adding to the discussion and debate, or just a distraction and detraction.  

Please notify the mods of offensive conduct and let them decide.  And send your personal attacks in private messages so the rest of us can get on with the discussion.  Thanks.

Tom Snyder

Sorry guys... falling down on the ******* job! lol

We have a built in censor set up to replace stuff like that with *'s... I see it missed one. I've corrected that post and the dirty words list.

Just a reminder of the rules:

Please try to be civil. We don't mind rants... heck, this site was built on rants. We'll censor profanity. And personal attacks on individuals will be deleted and get you a warning.  

But that means profane remarks about stations...while close to the line...will still remain, but will be censored. If you guys see something I haven't caught, shoot me message.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Martyus

Quote from: Xizer;56219TMJ4: Horrible squished picture. M***ive bar with election percentages the bottom. Bar appeared to be 480i? It was obviously standard definition, and appeared to have a m***ive, constant interlacing problem. FAIL.

I don't watch America's Got Talent, but my kids do. While they don't get to vote for their favorite acts, I did noticed that the TMJ4 election bar consumed the entire bottom third of the screen, completely covering the AGT call-in voting info for most of the AGT show... LOL. I hope no one from SE WI watching AGT wanted to actually vote for their favorite act. The kicker is that the TMJ4 election bar started being displayed with 1% of the vote. Really, who cares to see 1% returns, maybe wait until the results have some actual value (i.e. >20%).

Xizer

That was such an important night for AGT too; it was the final four.

Makes me glad I capped the episode from Chicago's NBC affiliate instead of Milwaukee's. TMJ4 is always loaded with errors even though I get a stronger signal from them. :huh?: Just bad broadcasting all-around.

WPXE ION

Quote from: murdoc;56237Agreed.  Plus we all know that they are too busy trying to come up with the "next great thing" to further diminish the limited bandwidth and degrade our picture quality.

You obviously know nothing about how DTV is transmitted. Study up on the ATSC standards before you talk about bandwidth!!!

The next great thing will be MPEG-4 OTA in case you want to know.