• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator/Box Updates

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday Aug 03, 2010, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenier

I really wish one of the updates would restore the two hour buffer and perhaps give us more then eight reminder timers.
Cisco 8640HDC

Jack 1000

Quote from: grenier;59284I really wish one of the updates would restore the two hour buffer and perhaps give us more then eight reminder timers.

My big wish is still keyword search for the keyboard.  Passport's keyboard was better because you could type in a person, title, or word and the system would find all instances of what was typed  An insider told me this is being worked on for all the boxes, but I'll believe that when I see it.

At least this version, appears to be stable.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

Quote from: Jack 1000;59285My big wish is still keyword search for the keyboard.  Passport's keyboard was better because you could type in a person, title, or word and the system would find all instances of what was typed  An insider told me this is being worked on for all the boxes, but I'll believe that when I see it.

At least this version, appears to be stable.

Jack

No word on my contacts, but so far the system appears stable on my Cisco boxes.

Jack 1000

Yesterday,

TWC added the Display Color Change Option to the Settings here in Wisconsin. Damn, is that thing UGLY!!! You talk about saving memory? Kill that feature and bring back DVR Compensation! Actually we still have DVR Compensation, cuz we am still on ODN 6.0.19 and not ODN 6.1.05 yet. When I first tried it, it said, "Not available, try later." Than in the middle of playback of a recording, I tried it, the box locked up. Had to hold the power button in to get the light to flash to reboot the box.  DVR Compensation is leaving with the next ODN update. (C-boxes and Samsungs.)  TWC says they had to remove it because it was a memory strain on the older boxes. I don't believe that.

Anyway, the point being that the options they give you are "New" or "Classic." The "Classic" if it went back to the old Navigator interface, might be something good, but its just a yellow cursor background instead of the default blue. It takes about 20 seconds on the SA-8300HDC to change the color scheme. The Time Grid tries to mimic the old Navigator/Passport colors, the problem is the background remains Black. The change really isn't the old color format. it seems to be more of a half and half. This reminds me of that "Graphic Transparency" feature with the Transparent Info bar. I think that is gone, but not sure.

Does anyone like the Display Color Option?

Jack

gparris

I don't see that option on my boxes.

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;59370I don't see that option on my boxes.

Maybe it hasn't "hit" all the boxes yet.  When it does, it would be under the Display settings.  I think only the C-boxes (SA-C's, Ciscos, and Samsungs will get it.)

Go to Settings
Display
In Display, Look for "Display Colors" in the up/down list.

A.) "New" is the default skin
B.) Classic is the modified skin.

If the box says, "Not available, try again later" when you try to activate the classic skin, users will need to reboot to see it to do to see it.  In my opinion, not worth the bother.  Allow a good 20 seconds after the "Please Wait" prompt  if you change the Color Scheme for the change to take effect, or to change it back again between the "New" and "Classic" modes.

Jack

gparris

Found it. Classic is ugly and a waste of programming. Thanks

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;59372Found it. Classic is ugly and a waste of programming. Thanks

Not to mention, it's buggy as hell.  At least on the SA-8300 HDC.  Twice when changing the colors,  it locked up, requiring a reboot, and one time it would not let me get out of the "Classic Mode" saying "New "is unavailable-please try later."  I reported the bug at the Direct to Tech Forum.  However, I think this feature is a waste of box memory.

Maybe it would be different if the option actually went back to the old color scheme that Navigator used to have where it sort of looked like Passport.  The mixture of yellow and on the Time Grid, blue with faded text looks awful.  Will leave this setting at the default.

Jack

Jack 1000

The last update removes DVR Compensation from the boxes.  If you have not lost it yet, it will soon happen.  ODN's latest update ODN 6.1.05 (For C-Model and Samsung boxes) removes this feature.  It will also be removed from MDN boxes soon, (Non-C, no Samsung set tops.)

Explanations from TWC vary and are hotly debated.  Ranging from a memory strain on the legacy boxes, to making way for new features.  Perhaps this is true, but the most likely explanation, which TWC refuses to acknowledge, is a lawsuit from Tivo, claiming that they own the rights to this feature:

You can read more about this here:

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?p=59447#post59447

Satch

gparris

One of my whole house DVR boxes needed a hard reboot as it failed to get all the channels in, asking for the A button to try again, but then all channels came in again, once the box was rebooted with this new subtraction in DVR features.
For my boxes, every time TWC does things with their programming, the power-on HD channel comes out stretched and then once you jump to another HD channel, the stretch disappears, everything is "normal" again.
-If and when the new channel line ups come up, which I hope is soon, hopefully nothing else will happen to the boxes to require any attention on my part.:OnAir:

grenier

Quote from: gparris;59460For my boxes, every time TWC does things with their programming, the power-on HD channel comes out stretched and then once you jump to another HD channel, the stretch disappears, everything is "normal" again.

When my box reboots, it goes to channel 01, not an HD channel so it's all stretched like you mention.
Cisco 8640HDC

gparris

Quote from: grenier;59461When my box reboots, it goes to channel 01, not an HD channel so it's all stretched like you mention.

All boxes are preprogrammed to go to channel 1 unless you hit the setting button on your remote and change the power-on channel to something else, I just prefer the HD channel I usually end up watching. I have stretch in my setup for the non-HD channels such as 64, which gives me the local weather (until TWC changes that with its new channel lineup changes, maybe), but my HD channels never stretch unless I manually ask them to with the # button. That is why I wonder everytime after a programming change in our boxes this stretch occurs on my assigned power-on channel, but thanks for the reply.

Jack 1000

Navigator Cloud Based Guide Begins Gradual Rollout

Although not in the Wisconsin area yet, the next release for ODN version 7 will lay the groundwork for the guide next year and in years to come with a cloud-based interface that will include:

• Expanded Search options and Filtering
    • VOD enhancements with cover art
    • Expanded DVR Options
    • True 16x9 HD interface
    • Return of DVR Compensation
    Initially, only the Advanced Gateway System boxes will get this update.  (Ciscos and Samsungs.)  Later in 2014, if all goes well, TWC will begin to cloud migrate the guide to more mainstream boxes:

Here are screenshots:

http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2287083/charlotte-nc-twc/

A biggie is that DVR COMPENSATION IS COMING BACK FOR ALL BOXES.  NOT JUST THE NEW CLOUD-BASED GUI UPDATE!

Screenshots and feature descriptions/discusions here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/128876/charlotte-nc-twc/7590#post_23913557

The goal is to get more features and settings into a secure cloud server environment to free up box memory so that the server cloud can be the mainstream for how boxes will function in the future.

Jack

LoadStar

Well, it's... um... less horrible.

I'll stick with my new TiVo Roamio. :)

Jack 1000

Quote from: LoadStar;59736Well, it's... um... less horrible.

I'll stick with my new TiVo Roamio. :)

LOL!@"Less Horrible."

Reviews have been mixed.  However, it's very early in the game.

Jack