• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

7/22 storm report

Started by WITI6fan, Thursday Jul 22, 2010, 09:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WITI6fan

If you're coming here wondering, WDJT's transmitter is offline, and they're currently simulcasting on WMLW. Time Warner has picked up WMLW and stuck it in WDJT's channel position until they can get back online. Apparently Uverse users are unaffected.

WVTV and WCGV are both off-air as well. Time Warner has a slide up on these channels as well.

techguy1975

Quote from: WITI6fan;55891If you're coming here wondering, WDJT's transmitter is offline, and they're currently simulcasting on WMLW. Time Warner has picked up WMLW and stuck it in WDJT's channel position until they can get back online. Apparently Uverse users are unaffected.

WVTV and WCGV are both off-air as well. Time Warner has a slide up on these channels as well.

I wonder if WVTV & WCGV got flooded.  I've seen reports of flooding on 35th  Capitol.  Also, WBME is off the air as well...at least on cable.  

WMLW was off earlier, they just came back on around 8:30

WITI6fan

Quote from: techboywi;55892I wonder if WVTV & WCGV got flooded.  I've seen reports of flooding on 35th  Capitol.  Also, WBME is off the air as well...at least on cable.  

WMLW was off earlier, they just came back on around 8:30

Weigel's transmitter site lost power, so I'm going to guess the WMLW transmitter is the "optimal" transmitter compared to the others so they fired up backup power on just WMLW's transmitter.

WISN went out a couple times too, so I'm guessing they're also experiencing the  power issues WDJT and WBME are experiencing.

techguy1975

Quote from: WITI6fan;55893Weigel's transmitter site lost power, so I'm going to guess the WMLW transmitter is the "optimal" transmitter compared to the others so they fired up backup power on just WMLW's transmitter.

WISN went out a couple times too, so I'm guessing they're also experiencing the  power issues WDJT and WBME are experiencing.

Makes sense...since WMLW is a lower power transmitter.  WISN is pretty much next door.  Also, while watching Ch. 6 earlier, it looks as if they took a lightning hit.  Didn't appear to do any damage though.  They were in the middle of a weather segment when all of the weather computers froze (according to Bart)

Been a wild night to say the least..

BK7725

CBS 58 is now being shown on WTMJ's digital subchannel 4.3. Very nice of them to do that.

WITI6fan

WDJT is now taking advantage of the help they lent to WTMJ last year and are now broadcasting on 4.3.

BK7725

Quote from: WITI6fan;55896WDJT is now taking advantage of the help they lent to WTMJ last year and are now broadcasting on 4.3.

What was the help last year?

techguy1975

Quote from: BK7725;55897What was the help last year?

Last year, Ch 4's transmitter was damaged in a storm.  WDJT broadcast WTMJ on one of their sub-channels

Stanley Kritzik

For a time, CH 4 was off the air, and late in the evening, CH 12 was gone, too.  In my case, I knew it wasn't me, 'cause while the OTA signal was just plain gone, DirecTV had a fill-in to say something to the effect "please don't call -- we know it's broken".

Too bad -- just when we need the info., nature strikes a blow.

Stan

WITI6fan

Within the last 10 minutes, WTMJ's news abruptly flickered off the screen and now they've been running commercials almost non-stop. :eek:

EDIT: Now they're back, but it appears they're unable to put up graphics.

WITI6fan

WVTV 18 is back on TWC, but it appears to be a network feed (there hasn't been any local stuff yet) and is 16:9 squished into 4:3.

techguy1975

WBME is back on TWC as well...  I did catch WVTV running Everyone Loves Raymond at 5pm.  They do not have their usual bug in the lower right corner (except during Network shows).  I've seen no local ads.  Their station ID seems different too.  Just a slide with the call letters, no announcement.  

Now, in fairness, I've been out of Milwaukee for 8 months now,  I'm only back in WI now on a vacation

Jimboy

Quote from: WITI6fan;55904WVTV 18 is back on TWC, but it appears to be a network feed (there hasn't been any local stuff yet) and is 16:9 squished into 4:3.

Studio facilities were flooded Thursday evening. Currently working on restoring operations. This one will take a while..........

Currently very lucky and extremely grateful for the hard work of the people within our organization and also of those outside of our company to be able to put anything on the air.

WITI6fan

Quote from: Jimboy;55906Studio facilities were flooded Thursday evening. Currently working on restoring operations. This one will take a while..........

Sounds like it was bad. :eek: I'm kind of disappointed that OnMilwaukee and the Journal Sentinel hasn't mentioned that you guys were flooded out too. :/

WITI6fan

4.3 is back to being "Cool TV" on TWC, but WDJT is still off air. (Looks like they came back for a little earlier, the picture is frozen on Analog channel 8 so they must have gone down again). :huh?: