• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

News Corp. Has Eye On DirecTV

Started by Gregg Lengling, Saturday Nov 09, 2002, 12:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

(November 7, 2002) New York City--News Corp is considering making another bid on DirecTV, even though its previous one was rejected by the DBS provider's owner, Hughes Electronics, last year. It looks to be making this move in light of the U.S. Justice Department and Federal Communications Commission's rejection of the proposed merger of DirecTV and rival EchoStar. News Corp head Rupert Murdoch said a consideration on this would not be made until January 2003.

Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

Tom Snyder

Oh Boy... the same people that promote FAUX Enhanced Widescreen as better then HDTV, and, if I'm not mistaken, own and operate WITI, now will own DirecTV? Lucky us!
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

gparris

Not too long ago I mentioned that the deal with Echostar and Hughes would not be completed due to so-called "concerns" about antitrust and monopoly what with the merge.
It is sad that our government allows the merging of cable companies like AT&T and Comcast at the very same time denying the DISH/DIRECTV merger. The only way HDTV could have got off the ground is with more transponders and DMA's covered. Cable vs. Sat would have been a great way to compete. The issue was with a small handful of rural customers over millions more of us ending up with one provider for Sat as they say they cannot get cable. How, in our democracy,can a bunch of farmers overrule with THEIR needs for competition to the masses needing direct competition with cable? I don't get it.
As for Murdoch, you are right, as I was, months ago, that Murdoch is a quantity , not a quality  businessman. He will wreck DIRECTV and lower the res on HD signals or eliminate them altogether. Then the DoJ will be correct in its original assumption: DISH Network will be our choice or OTA/Cable. I can just imagine an "Simpsons" channel,etc.on MurdochDirectv. I await the nightmare to start. Then I will pray for OTA or TWC to give me HD as I rip out my dish from the roof.

Matt Heebner

Make no mistake about it, Murdoch buys DirecTv, I will drop in a heartbeat. I think its a game with what he is doing with HD on FAUX, and I will not stand for what he would do with DirecTv. I would rather go with TWC....and if anyone here has read any of my earlier posts you will know my "love" for cable.

Matt