News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Why are the broadcast antennas where they are?

Started by AA9VI, Monday Jul 19, 2010, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AA9VI

I made a trip this weekend up to Sheboygan and then around Lake Winnebago and back down towards Milwaukee.  I had my APRS (ham radio lat/lon beaconing) up and running and I was watching the elevation changes as I approached Germantown.  There is a fairly large ridge just north of there... just north.  Ground elevation was on the order of 1200' ASL, compared to around say 700' for where the big TV broadcast towers are now.

So, my question is, why didn't the broadcasters op to go 20 miles to the NW of Milwaukee to take advantage of this huge 500' gain over what they have?  It seems to me they are essentially broadcasting near the bottom of a bowl.  Sure you're farther from Racine and Kenosha, but that 500' should more than make up for that.

WITI6fan

They're where they are because that's where WTMJ is. That way, new stations could sign on with the guarantee that antennas were already pointed in that direction. Had WTMJ built there transmitter somewhere else, Many of the towers would probably be around there.

WISN (and later WDJT) just had to be different and build in Lincoln Park.

troyriley

For more, here's another thread from when I wondered the same thing last September...

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8765