News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Changing skyline

Started by techboy, Saturday Jul 10, 2010, 08:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techboy

The "old" Ch 24 tower on Capitol drive is gone!   Anybody know where it went?  It was de-constructed over the past couple of days.  Also, since the "old" ch 10 / 18 dual top tower is also no longer used for TV, will it also be de-constructed?  Maybe some FM'rs still using that tower.  Mayor Norquest is smiling.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

Tivoman44

was that the one that looked like a field goal at the top, flashed red at night or was that the one that flashed the bluish white light both in the day and night?

techguy1975

For the Ch.24 tower, was that the one on Capitol & Holton?  Also used, IIRC by TV30, and a bunch of FMs..

@tivoman I believe you are correct, the old Ch 10/36/18 tower was the "goal post" antenna.  There were a ton of FMs on there...not sure where they went..

Tivoman44

I looked myself, but only one came down.  Yes it was capital and Holton, the one that was very close to Uhaul.  That blinked with the whitish light both day and night.

Jimboy

Wondering how long it would take for someone to notice..........:)
Work started on it in late June.

Nels Harvey

I'm pretty sure the Ch. 18 tower is still being used by some services.  That is the one with the "Goalpost" appearance.  That tower is owned by Ch. 18.  I think Ch. 18 is still using that antenna for their digital signal.  The west antenna is a Ch. 18 antenna, and the east antenna is for Ch. 10 analog, and not used anymore.

The tower next to it is owned by American Tower, who rents space to some of the area digital stations, and some FM transmitters.  That is where Ch. 8 (10), 35 (36) and Ch. 36 antennas are located.  Ch. 24 and Ch. 30 are located there as well.

The "old" Ch. 24 tower was never a really safe tower.  It had guy lines that were at 60 degrees, and weren't spaced at 120 degrees around it, making it a bit unsafe.  All the stations migrated off of the tower with the digital TV transition, and the FM transmitters also moved.  That tower never had an elevator, so it was a hard one to work on.  It's pretty much a day's work to do anything on a tower like that!
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Jimboy

Quote from: Nels Harvey;55825The "old" Ch. 24 tower was never a really safe tower.  It had guy lines that were at 60 degrees, and weren't spaced at 120 degrees around it, making it a bit unsafe.  All the stations migrated off of the tower with the digital TV transition, and the FM transmitters also moved.  That tower never had an elevator, so it was a hard one to work on.  It's pretty much a day's work to do anything on a tower like that!

The guy lines are/were spaced at 120 degrees and the tower performed as designed. (edit 7-16-10 - The south guy anchor was not aiming directly at the tower and a device was built to correct that).
It also stood the test of time since 1979 and at no time it was ever considered to be "unsafe".

As of 3:50pm 7/13/2010 it's officially down.

Channel 24 Analog Antenna Coming Down

Last Remaining Sections

Left To Do Morning of 7/13/10

Almost Down

Time Of Tower Death 3:50pm 7/13/2010

WPXE ION

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Jimboy;55841The guy lines are/were spaced at 120 degrees (spacing anomaly was corrected at one of the guy points) and the tower performed as designed. It also stood the test of time since 1979 and at no time it was ever considered to be "unsafe".

As of 3:50pm 7/13/2010 it's officially down.

Thanks for the photos.  I leave town for a week and the whole landscape changes!  I used to use this tower to "calibrate" my telescope from the 2nd floor.  Not that I could see much else, but I saw this tower just about every night.  I'll miss it.

Jimboy

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;55844I'll miss it.

We Won't..................

jkane

So when you remove a tower and it changes the radiation patterns for other antennas, do you have to fix that problem for other transmitters?

hideing_behind_compu

Jimboy

Quote from: jkane;55846So when you remove a tower and it changes the radiation patterns for other antennas, do you have to fix that problem for other transmitters?

hideing_behind_compu

Simulated invisible tower and antenna already installed. Invisible lighting as well.

Actually less stuff in the way to cause potential multipath.