• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

U-verse 3 HD streams

Started by TPK, Wednesday Jun 09, 2010, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPK

Seems like my U-verse got upgraded last night, and the service is now capable of delivering 3 simultaneous HD streams to my home...

I was just now able to watch a 3rd HD channel in my bedroom while the HD DVR box was recording 2 other HD channels...

However, even though the service is capable of delivering 3 HD streams to my house, it appears (at least for now) that the HD DVR box is only capable of "tuning" (yes, I know that "tuning" is technically the wrong word) into 2 of them...   Since the DVR box is unable to record 3 HD channels, or watching a third HD channel while recording 2 others...

Perhaps the hard drive in the HD DVR box is incapable of keeping up with recording 3 HD streams (just by watching a HD stream without "recording" it, it is still technically recording it all the time to enable the pause/rewind capabilities to work)...   Or maybe the firmware hasn't been upgraded on the HD DVR box yet...

Anyhow, the ability to watch 3 HD streams vastly improves the service level for U-verse, and I can only imagine how much of a relief this will offer larger households with more people in it...

...  So, good news overall ;)

ckkopenski

Greenfield here. I was just able to tune three of my TV's to ESPN-HD (1602)!!!!

Just went back to change the channel on tv's 2 and 3, since everything on one channel is most likely one feed. I now have 3 tv's tuned to three different HD channels.

Corey

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: TPK;55686Seems like my U-verse got upgraded last night, and the service is now capable of delivering 3 simultaneous HD streams to my home...

I was just now able to watch a 3rd HD channel in my bedroom while the HD DVR box was recording 2 other HD channels...

However, even though the service is capable of delivering 3 HD streams to my house, it appears (at least for now) that the HD DVR box is only capable of "tuning" (yes, I know that "tuning" is technically the wrong word) into 2 of them...   Since the DVR box is unable to record 3 HD channels, or watching a third HD channel while recording 2 others...

Perhaps the hard drive in the HD DVR box is incapable of keeping up with recording 3 HD streams (just by watching a HD stream without "recording" it, it is still technically recording it all the time to enable the pause/rewind capabilities to work)...   Or maybe the firmware hasn't been upgraded on the HD DVR box yet...

Anyhow, the ability to watch 3 HD streams vastly improves the service level for U-verse, and I can only imagine how much of a relief this will offer larger households with more people in it...

...  So, good news overall ;)
The processor and hardware in the DVR will not support more than 2 HD and 2 SD streams at a time....it's not network limitation but hardware and software limitation. There is so much going on to be able to be supporting up to 4 incoming live streams and be able to support playing a number of recorded programs at the same to the other boxes....

This is also contingent on the loop length and data bandwidth avail to your home....max loop length for this profile (32mbs to the rg) is 2201 feet.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

TPK

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;55707The processor and hardware in the DVR will not support more than 2 HD and 2 SD streams at a time....it's not network limitation but hardware and software limitation. There is so much going on to be able to be supporting up to 4 incoming live streams and be able to support playing a number of recorded programs at the same to the other boxes....

This is also contingent on the loop length and data bandwidth avail to your home....max loop length for this profile (32mbs to the rg) is 2201 feet.

Well gee, thats kinda sucky....

.... I want to have my cake, and eat it too!!!  :rolleyes:

...  Looks like its time to roll out an upgraded box....