• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner Problem Count Thread

Started by WITI6fan, Tuesday Mar 23, 2010, 04:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gparris

"TWC could be getting ready to add the HD channels cited on the Wisconsin site soon, which could account for the breakup, but I don't think so."

Jack 1000,

Those HD channels listed in the site have been there for for some time, I don't think it is due to adding anything.

As in the past, I think TWC is either doing something again it shouldn't or it is trying to fix a mess it created (again). :(

I was watching ABCHD on 1012 and the recording showed visible digital breakups in the picture, including the live shots when I switched over last night, no sun activity there, I would assume.:huh?:

Jack 1000

QuoteAs in the past, I think TWC is either doing something again it shouldn't or it is trying to fix a mess it created (again).

LOL!  

Yea, and we always get this little messes and try to fixes like every 3-5 months.  They seem to last for about 3 days to a week tops, and than the cycle repeats itself.

In contrast, both my TWC Road Runner and Digital Phone have been great!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Channel 12 in HD (1012) and channel 15 in HD (1015) are flickering on and off again.  But right now, it only seems to be these two channels that are affected.

I am in Brookfield.

SD versions of these stations are fine.

Jack

Danno321

I have a cable card and have not noticed any pixelation.  Any have this issue with cable card?

Jack 1000

Quote from: gparris;55924Are the Samsung HD DVR boxes any faster than the 8300HDC's?:huh?:

I have a 8300HD and a 8300HDC and the HDC limps along in comparison...:bang:

Yes,

The Samsungs move like lightning! (Newer Processors) An update is coming that will make the HDC boxes much faster.  It is being pushed out now across the country.  There's two bugs that they are working on as a reason for the slower rollout:

1.) An occasional Black Screen that results from time to time when changing channels.  Supposed work-around is to just re-key in the channel number.

2.) Some intermittent rebooting with VOD channels.

3.) This update for ODN (C-boxes and Samsungs) will eventually be rolled out to all ODN units, shows positive results for the speed issues.  Early reports are that the update makes the C-boxes almost as fast as the Samsungs, and the Samsungs even faster!  

They are working on those two bugs.  The build number for the Speed Boost is ODN 4.0.24.  There is a previous version that is ODN 4.0.01, which adds multi-room DVR support, but our division does not have multi-room DVR's yet.  We are still on the widespread ODN release of 3.2.015, which has pretty good stability, and has been in the field since January 2010.

Our next ODN (C-box and Samsung) update should be the speed boost.  If you don't want to wait for the speed boost update, and you don't mind losing the existing recordings on your HDC box, and the slow speed is making you crazy, try to get a Samsung box.  However, they are in short supply. (Probably because there is a stronger demand for them than the HDC's.)

What's interesting is that the older non-C MDN units are faster on most of the legacy boxes that are at least SA/Cisco series 3000-4000 for non-DVR and SA-8240-800 DVR boxes, than the HDC newer counterparts. (Such as SA/Cisco's newest DVR boxes. the 8600 series.)  ODN's speed boost update should fix this.

Users who are running legacy boxes such as ANY Pioneer units or SA models 1000-2000 with slowness, freezing or other frustration should swap out those units for newer models.  The same is true for the SA-8000 DVR's.  They don't have the needed memory or modern hardware to run the Navigator software well.

Jack

ddeerrff

Got a non-DVR Samsung box (H3260) the other day.  Very speedy!

Jack 1000

Problems today with HD feeds occasionally flickering on and off.  Noted especially on Channel 1012 (HD channel 12) and on Fox News (HD-channel 1352)  SD versions of these channels are not affected.

In fact channel 1012 has been acting up a lot lately.  TWC-Milwaukee should put a special "watch" on the reception for this station.

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;56412Problems today with HD feeds occasionally flickering on and off.  Noted especially on Channel 1012 (HD channel 12) and on Fox News (HD-channel 1352)  SD versions of these channels are not affected.

In fact channel 1012 has been acting up a lot lately.  TWC-Milwaukee should put a special "watch" on the reception for this station.

Jack

Cable guy coming out tomorrow to check lines.  Maybe replace box. We'll see how it goes.

I also E-mailed and said send this issue with channel 12 and the other HD feeds to engineering.  I told them about this site as well.

Jack

Jack 1000

Service call went good,

He unplugged the outside line going to the DVR than plugged it back in and everything went away.  For now, our issues have been resolved.

Jack

brewtownska

I had a TWC guy tell me once I should unplug all the connections in the house like once a year to let out static electricity that builds up in the lines.  Maybe that's all it was.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

ddeerrff

Quote from: brewtownska;56423to let out static electricity that builds up in the lines.  
ROTFL

F connectors are not perfect, and the contact points can oxidize over time.  Unplug, plug back in can break down that oxidation.

Talos4

Quote from: brewtownska;56423I had a TWC guy tell me once I should unplug all the connections in the house like once a year to let out static electricity that builds up in the lines.  Maybe that's all it was.

When you drain the static from the cable, don't just let it go on the floor. If you do this, it will find its way back into the cable after a couple of months. This is called static migration.

To prevent this migration make sure you use a bucket when draining the static, then dispose of it properly outside of the house. (Static disposal). Be sure not to overfill the bucket. This would cause static overload which then will result in static cling if you get it on your clothing. :pyth

LoadStar

Quote from: brewtownska;56423I had a TWC guy tell me once I should unplug all the connections in the house like once a year to let out static electricity that builds up in the lines.  Maybe that's all it was.

Static? Pfft, that's dumb. :D

What it really is is that all those missed packets that happen periodicially? They're never missed, they just get to your wires late... and since your TV doesn't need them at that point, they just kind of sit in the wire and build up over time. You need to unplug them to let out all those excess late packets.