• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Navigator-HDMI Issues

Started by Jack 1000, Tuesday May 11, 2010, 02:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

HDMI issues With TWC Navigator:

Approximately, once every 4-6 months, I will have an issue with my SA-8300 MDN box.  When I power up the box/TV by pressing the POWER button on the remote, I will get a "Mode Not Supported" message on the screen.  This is a known "handshake issue" with the Navigator Guide and the boxes.  "Handshaking" refers to how well the HDMI cable/box/TV syncronize with each other when they are turned on.

The workaround is to turn off the box and than reboot it.  A warm reboot for the Navigator system is to do the following on the front of the box:

1.) Press and hold the VOL+ and VOL- button simultaniously.

2.) While holding down the VOL+/VOL- buttons, press INFO

3.) Let go of the buttons when the screen goes blank.  The box will re-boot immediately.

Another issue with HDMI handshaking that I DO NOT have, but has been reported by several friends, is that some of the newer model SA/Cisco boxes will sometimes not hold the Output resolution Setting when they are turned off. (The selection of 480i, 720p, 1080i)  This is also true of some of the Samsung boxes.

If you are getting handshake issues with "Mode Note Supported" using HDMI cable, you have three options:

1.) Reboot your box.  (Turn the box off first and than reboot for best results.)

2.) Use Component Cable for your HDTV instead of HDMI

3.) If the problem persists, or recurrs more than every few months, request a box swap or try a new HDMI cable

MDN/ODN Navigator boxes should have a software update developed and downloaded to them, to better deal with these HDMI issues.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

cdnelson

When the handshake problem has occurred for me, I've been able to fix it by:

• Unplugging the HDMI cable from the box and reseating it.
  • Changing from HDMI to some other input on the TV and switching back.

Jack 1000

Quote from: cdnelson;55549When the handshake problem has occurred for me, I've been able to fix it by:

• Unplugging the HDMI cable from the box and reseating it.
  • Changing from HDMI to some other input on the TV and switching back.

Option two worked for me:

Tip,

If you ever get a "Mode Not Supported" error when you turn on your TWC Navigator box and TV at the same time through the power button, and the Video Source button is programmed on your remote, just hit the Video Source button several times to cycle through the other equipment options on your TV. When you get back to your Cable mode, the picture should reappear. Than just press ANY TV related control on your TWC remote, (i.e Volume, Mute) to make any TV menu go away of it does not do so on it's own.

Much faster than rebooting or having to turn the TV off and than back on again, just because Navigator does not always synchronize with the TV from time to time.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Bigdog

I have noticed a different problem with HDMI here, on occasion when tuning to an HD channel, I will get color flashes (mostly blue and red) that seem to persist until I switch to a SD channel and then back to an HD channel. This has affected multiple TVs here (one is DLP and other is LCD)...