• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Directv TiVo problem

Started by the_heller, Thursday Mar 04, 2010, 12:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_heller

We have an older TiVo unit for Directv (DVR40) which every once in a while will freeze up or just "shut off" (machine is on but screen is black and you can't do anything).

Wondering if anyone had an idea what might be wrong. I'm guessing at some point we'll have to get a new receiver, but was trying to avoid that. Thanks.

Talos4

My guess, the hard drive is failing.

It could be replaced, and drives are available that are pre-configured for tivo's

I'd check with Weeknees or the tivo community for more answers.

Tivoman44

You mentioned a failing hard drive and how they have replacement ones for Tivo.  Are there any authorized Tivo Dealers in the Milwaukee Area.  I am not having any problems with my tivo (knock on wood) but I'd like to be prepared.  That is the one good thing about having a cable box, if it fails they just come out and give you a new one.

LoadStar

Quote from: Tivoman44;55043You mentioned a failing hard drive and how they have replacement ones for Tivo.  Are there any authorized Tivo Dealers in the Milwaukee Area.  I am not having any problems with my tivo (knock on wood) but I'd like to be prepared.  That is the one good thing about having a cable box, if it fails they just come out and give you a new one.

You should be able to get a TiVo from most major electronics retailers in the Milwaukee area. However, retail stores don't carry pre-imaged TiVo drives. Your three choices are:
1) get one preimaged from an online source like Weaknees.com or DVRUpgrade.com
2) get a blank hard drive and make it TiVo ready by using a utility like MFS Live/WinMFS
3) get a blank hard drive and buy a copy of Instant Cake from DVRUpgrade.com

Talos4

the_heller

Quote from: Talos4;55042My guess, the hard drive is failing.

It could be replaced, and drives are available that are pre-configured for tivo's

I'd check with Weeknees or the tivo community for more answers.

Thanks for the info. Not sure I'd want to spend $$ on something when I'm sure DTV would replace it with one of their models for free. Either way - replacing a hard drive (which I'm not even sure I could do) or getting a new model - would mean losing everything currently saved anyway.