• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

problems with Fox 6 signal

Started by jhmaa, Sunday Dec 13, 2009, 12:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhmaa

I have not been able to get the signal for Fox 6 consistently.  I live in Oconomowoc (western Waukesha) and never had a problem for the last 3 years.   Now my tv gets signal only occasionally ( and never for Packers games! )  
Is this because of the new tower?  Shouldn't reception be better not worse?  
Can any one explain/help me solve this?

budda

Is your ANT. directional. Ant for fox was raised and moved. as well as power added. I would also check cabling maybe a bad end or rotted cable? I also live in Oconomowoc and the signal is at 100 percent. And no problems. More info please....

jhmaa

I get all other channels fine.  antennae is fixed in my attic, and I have not changed the position.  Could that be it?

Nels Harvey

Quote from: jhmaa;54257I have not been able to get the signal for Fox 6 consistently.  I live in Oconomowoc (western Waukesha) and never had a problem for the last 3 years.   Now my tv gets signal only occasionally ( and never for Packers games! )  
Is this because of the new tower?  Shouldn't reception be better not worse?  
Can any one explain/help me solve this?
I had problems with Ch. 4's signal, with a good antenna and short distance.  In my case, I had some interfering signals, probably multipath.  This is one thing the increased signal out your way might be suffering from.

What I did was to insert one of those one in/two out splitters in the line.  This enabled my set to discriminate the channel from the interfering multipath, and my reception is fine now.  One of those splitters cuts the signal level in half, or so.

TV signals are capricious, but this is a low cost thing to try, and it just may work.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

AA9VI

I got this "eloquent" response from the FCC regarding WCHU's co-channel interference with WITI.  it basically says, if WITI doesn't care, neither does the FCC...  So far, WITI unfortunately does not care.

"You are receiving this email in response to your inquiry to the FCC.

Dear Consumer:

In the license application process, there are very strict engineering studies required before a station can be licensed and begin broadcasting.  The studies are designed to prevent interference.  In those rare instances when a problem might occur, the station(s) experiencing the problem can often work a cooperative solution.  

Conditions of non-reception, poor reception, and/or electrical interference to radio/TV sets do not indicate an FCC rule violation and the FCC will not investigate these conditions.

If you believe a licensed broadcast station's signal is experiencing interference, you may consider contacting the affected station.  If the station operator believes an interference condition exists, the operator may contact the FCC.

The FCC will investigate interference complaints SUBMITTED BY BROADCASTERS.

Rules: CFR 47, Part 73"

Tivoman44

Did anyone notice the horrible signal on fox 6 this morning?  Last night it was fine but not this morning.  I am now watching some tivoed shows on other channels from the same time and they are fine.  I was about to have have a stroke had the signal still not worked come tonight for 24.

Also I only skimed over the earlier posts, but is this just an OTA issue, or are TWC and Uverse, etc, customers having this issue with Fox 6 as well?

ShineOn

I live nowhere near Oconomowoc and Fox6 has been chopping up during American Idol.  I wonder if they're having problems with their shiny new antenna but aren't saying anything cuz they're embarrassed.

It's not my equipment or our location  because we get MeTV (49.1) just fine...

budda

I have Dish, and use my Ant for Locals, Have a standard roof ant. power amp nothing special just figured more is better. All locals are excellent except 12-1 witch is  about 74 to 80 percent signal all others high 90's to 100. Watched Idol last night, not one problem in two hours. On this forum many times problems are listed. People post back. works fine or not. But sometimes the rest of use have no idea. of 1) location  2) service they are using TW, Dish, DTV, Uverse, or just Ant. or a combination of them. More info is more better. Just posting works good or not. And no other info is less then Zero.  For most people location is by the nik but some are scared of people knowing where they live, so it is left blank. Stalkers and all.Peace{fart}

Tom Snyder

Not sure anyone would actually go through everything they'd have to in order steal a TV by ascertaining a street address based on a profile name and a listed city, when all they'd have to do is drive down a street and look for a big TV in someone's living room window.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

AA9VI

Well, I actually received their signal for the first time in 4-5 months last night due to co-channel interference in my area.  Did WITI do something to improve the signal?  I didn't change anything.  Maybe WCHU-LP went down to open up the frequency... Hard to say.

Northern Fringe

Since they installed the new antenna, my reception of FOX6 up here in Oshkosh has been much more reliable.  Actually, the last few days I haven't had any breakup at all... it depends on the atmospheric conditions, though.

AA9VI

Well, it looks like my hunch was right.  I was able to get WITI only because WCHU was off the air.

NOW, THIS IS PROOF THAT WCHU IS THE CAUSE OF CO-CHANNEL INTERFERENCE to the south.