News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Sling approved for 3g use on iPhones (FINALLY)

Started by basshive, Thursday Feb 04, 2010, 09:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basshive

Not sure how many other iPhone/Sling users are out there but I have been waiting forever for this.  This is going to be very awesome on the iPad.. :rock:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/04/atandt-letting-slingplayer-stream-over-3g-on-the-iphone-at-long-la/
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

hormy_83

This is the sole reason I had my iPhone jailbroken, so I could utilize this app over 3G when it first came out.  A couple nights ago I upgraded my Slingbox app and removed the jailbreak and have been trying it out since.  Overall I'm very pleased.

They did say the app is now "optimized" for 3G, which basically means the quality will be crappier.  And it is a bit, but I use this the most on the bus ride home from work (I work downtown Milwaukee).  And at that time of the day downtown I used to have a lot of bandwidth issues, and sometimes it would be unwatchable.

I tried yesterday and it was much more watchable.  No where near as many pauses while watching it.

basshive

I have done some more extensive testing. I commute from Waterford,WI to Vernon Hills, IL everyday and I am able to fire up the sling app and have a show going for the entire 55miles. I still have one area along 94 that freaks out once in a while but all in all its very stable, very watchable. I actually just listen to stuff mostly and the app has an audio mode only option :)
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV