• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WiFi Radio Music ect.

Started by Gregg Lengling, Friday Jan 01, 2010, 04:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg Lengling

Anyone using a WiFi Internet radio or some wifi device to receive streaming music from a pc...whether it be an Internet Broadcast or music from your PC.  I've looked a quite a few all over the place but almost everyone has bad reviews at some point and don't want to make a bad decision on one.  Especially after I find one I want to get one for an older lady friend who isn't as tech savy and really misses not having a local FM classical station anymore.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI
Living the life with a 65" Aquos
glengling at milwaukeehdtv dot org  {fart}

OlsonNet

I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squeezebox-Network-Player-Internet/dp/B001DJ64D4/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

works great. can stream internet radio, my music collection, even XM radio online.

bschlafer

I use my computer to stream lots of different radio broadcasts.  I even have a separate computer set up just as an iTunes jukebox.  

By doing some digging, I can often locate Badger hockey games - that typically are not carried by local stations - by surfing the opposing team's web pages.  I can usually find a link to a station that carries the game feed.

iTunes has a radio tab that allows you to tune in thousands of stations (internet only and OTA broadcast streams) from all over the world.  Nearly any genre, language or content you can think of.

And the best part, no subscription service or fees.  All you need is a computer and an internet connection.

CNET has a review of internet WiFi radios: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wifi-radios/

The better ones are a little pricey, IMHO.  But there are some low-end inexpensive ones out there that may fit the bill.  Check out Amazon.com.

Good luck!

*Bill

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: bschlafer;54449I use my computer to stream lots of different radio broadcasts.  I even have a separate computer set up just as an iTunes jukebox.  

By doing some digging, I can often locate Badger hockey games - that typically are not carried by local stations - by surfing the opposing team's web pages.  I can usually find a link to a station that carries the game feed.

iTunes has a radio tab that allows you to tune in thousands of stations (internet only and OTA broadcast streams) from all over the world.  Nearly any genre, language or content you can think of.

And the best part, no subscription service or fees.  All you need is a computer and an internet connection.

CNET has a review of internet WiFi radios: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wifi-radios/

The better ones are a little pricey, IMHO.  But there are some low-end inexpensive ones out there that may fit the bill.  Check out Amazon.com.

Good luck!

*Bill

Yes but I'm looking for something would be in another room without a computer...I'm already using my Den computer hooked up to a stereo system right now but that's a single room result.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

bschlafer

These work without a computer: http://www.tivoliaudio.com/home.php?cat=271
 -but of course still require a net connection.  

I'm sure there are cheaper options out there.

*Bill

jkane

I finally broke down and got XM last summer.  Love it.  Got tired of all the useless political ignorance on morning radio.  I use the streaming feed on a computer sometimes also.  Just wish it wasn't so expensive every month.

Gregg Lengling

Quote from: jkane;54476I finally broke down and got XM last summer.  Love it.  Got tired of all the useless political ignorance on morning radio.  I use the streaming feed on a computer sometimes also.  Just wish it wasn't so expensive every month.
Got XM in the car and love it and do use the streaming feed sometimes..but I'm looking for a wireless solution to other parts of the house without needing a computer.  What I would really love to find is a way to put a  Wifi standalone unit with USB to plug in a USB sound card and feed the stereo in anyroom...just make one of these for Family Room, Kitchen and the Back Yard/Garage Sound system and just stream the program from my PC in the Den over the WiFi to all these locations.
Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI

jkane

Hmmm ...

How about one of those FM transmitters you use in a car for playing an MP3 player out of the vehicle speakers.  Plug it into the stereo output of what ever the feed source is and use a regular FM radio to receive it.

We do that on our bikes.  I have the XM on mine, use an iRiver brand transmitter set to 107.something and my wife can be about 2 bikes behind me and still receive it.  As we travel across the state, I can move it up or down quickly to find an unused frequency.  With a better antenna, I am sure you could double that distance and easily match WiFi range.  The nice thing about the iRiver brand is that it can tune any frequency on the FM spectrum.  Not just 4 fixed settings in the 88.x range which the Belkin does.  I also find the iRiver to go farther than the Belkin.  Not familiar with any other brands.

Nels Harvey

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;54440Anyone using a WiFi Internet radio or some wifi device to receive streaming music from a pc...whether it be an Internet Broadcast or music from your PC.  I've looked a quite a few all over the place but almost everyone has bad reviews at some point and don't want to make a bad decision on one.  Especially after I find one I want to get one for an older lady friend who isn't as tech savy and really misses not having a local FM classical station anymore.
If satellite radio would be a solution, Sirius sells a unit that converts the satellite signal to the 900 MHz. band, sends it to a slave unit within range, and re-transmits the original frequency short range that can be picked up with a Sirius boombox.  The unit can be found by searching for Sirius sirwrs1.  This works for a friend who wanted to listen in various rooms in his large home.
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

kevbeck122

Apple Airport Express might be a solution.  Each unit costs $100 retail, but can be found for $60-$80 on ebay and elsewhere.  The units are controlled by iTunes on a single PC or Mac on the network.  If you have an iPod touch or iPhone, there is an app called Remote that can also control them.  The airport express units should be able to stream internet radio as long as it works in iTunes, otherwise you can get Airfoil for $25 which allows you to stream audio from anything, not just iTunes.

Airport Express/Airtunes Info: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html
Airfoil Info: http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/

I don't have any experience with Airport Express, but I have seen video reviews and it seems like it works well.  It's also one of the cheaper multiple area audio systems out there.

jeffski

XM is fantastic. I've been a sub since 2004. I never tune in to the mindless garbage on fm anymore.  (WKLH is really W-STALE-H..same old same old) The skyfi2 reciever I use at work does have an fm transmitter built in,albeit it only transmits 100 feet tops(less if signal goes thru walls/floors)  As far as subscription price,Deep Tracks alone is worth what I pay,the other channels are just bonus to me. :D

Buy_The_Tie

Quote from: Gregg Lengling;54440...  Especially after I find one I want to get one for an older lady friend who isn't as tech savy and really misses not having a local FM classical station anymore.

Have you considered HD radio?  There is 24/7 classical music available on the 2nd stream of 90.7 FM.  Just about the only practical HD radios out there are actually table radios, probably just what your friend would be looking for.

Radio Shack used to sell an "Accurian" HD radio that I have (my mom has, and my daughter has) that works really well.  I see also that American TV has a Sony for sale for what I remember to be about $150.  It might be worth a shot.

I've found that the fidelity on satellite radio is iffy at best.  HD radio sounds really good (and it's free).

bschlafer

Just about every HD radio option available can be seen here:
http://www.hdradio.com/

The $99 Sony XDR-F1HD component tuner is excellent.  Most of the lower cost desktop (table/clock radio style) models each have their strong and weak points.  Generally the higher cost models perform and sound better that the less expensive ones.

Good luck!
*Bill