News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Loud "Local" Commercial Breaks

Started by Buy_The_Tie, Sunday Jan 17, 2010, 11:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buy_The_Tie

We were watching the season premiere of 24 tonight on my fancy new HTPC in glorious high definition.

The commercial breaks that appeared to be from the network were at the same volume as the program.  The commercial breaks that were "local" were *really* loud.

Did anybody else notice this, or is there some sort of setting in my HTPC that is causing the problem?

kevbeck122

FOX's national feed is in Dolby Digital 5.1, while the FOX6 local feed is only stereo... that's why.  DD5.1 has a wide dynamic range and will sound quieter, mainly during dialog.  There might be a plugin or sound setting in your HTPC program where you can compress the dynamic range so that volume levels are similar between DD and stereo.

techboy

Try adjusting the dialogue normalization function of your audio decoder properties.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

Buy_The_Tie

I found the following adjustment, I'm hoping it does the trick.  I will report back with what I find.  (Look for the big obvious orange arrow)

LoadStar

Quote from: Buy_The_Tie;54607I found the following adjustment, I'm hoping it does the trick.  I will report back with what I find.  (Look for the big obvious orange arrow)

I'm not seeing the arrow, sorry... can you make it a bit clearer?

SRW1000

Quote from: Buy_The_Tie;54607I found the following adjustment, I'm hoping it does the trick.  I will report back with what I find.  (Look for the big obvious orange arrow)
That should help, but keep in mind that it will also compress the dynamic range of the show you're watching.  So, for a show like 24, the dialog will seem louder, and the explosions will likely sound more quiet.  Some see this as a benefit, other's prefer to watch it as intended.

As an alternative, we usually either turn down or mute the commercials, or just use the DVR to skip over them completely.

Scott

Steve Mann

Commercials... how last century.  :D
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

RLJSlick

No kidding, you ever heard of a remote control?
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

Buy_The_Tie

Just to be clear.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro, using the media center as my PVR.

The "skip ahead" button on the remote jumps 30 seconds.

For the1/2 second between button presses, the commercial is playing, and it just about blows us out of the room.

Don't be silly.... of course we don't sit through and watch the commercials.  :wave: