• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

PS3 Audio

Started by NET10, Sunday Dec 27, 2009, 09:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NET10

Looking for some easy answers.  The boy received a PS3 for Christmas and I am running an Optical cable from the PS3 to the receiver.  There is no HDMI for the TV or the receiver.  What is the best option in the PS3, Bitstream or LPCM?   The main concern I have is the playback of Blu-Ray movies, not the gaming end of it.
I've read a lot and been confused a lot.  Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you.

gparris

The optical digital connection that the PS3 offers is sufficient if you have not have HDMI on your AVR or HDTV, it still offers better lossy audio with Dolby Digital and DTS sound on Blu-ray than DVD, but not lossless.
Set your audio out on the PS3 to send out decoded signal by checking the boxes off on the screen on your PS3 and you should be fine.
When you hit the display button during playback, the PS3 will popup that the audio is DD or DTS and what bitrate, all is good.
Many I know with this setup get very good sound and do not miss the full audio range the Dolby TRUEHD and DTS HD Master Audio offer, but it is a step up from DVD audio on Blu-ray. The component video adapter you have to purchase for the PS3 should be used and plugged directly into the HDTV's component input or the assigned AVR inputs for video and audio, then the HDTV, if you do A/V switching between a set top box or other gaming systems (if you have them) on your AVR receiver.
Hope this helps.:D

NET10