News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Focus lock

Started by bschlafer, Saturday Jan 02, 2010, 12:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschlafer

Has anyone else noticed a problem with OTA channels briefly losing focus?

Occasionally the picture will snap out of focus, for a second or two, and then zoom back into focus.  This seems to happen on Milwaukee's WDJT 58-2 and 58-3, but I think I've also seen it on ION TV's local affiliate WPXE 55-1 & 55-3.  

Is this a broadcast problem at the station (or network feed)?  Or is a problem with my tuner?  I have a 42" LG plasma connected to a OTA antenna.

I can't remember seeing this problem prior to the digital conversion.  It never seems to do it during commercials (of course) and seems most prevalent during live sports broadcasts - such as today's Syracuse vrs. Pittsburgh BB game.  It may be linked to movement, or graphics appearing and changing on the screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

*Bill

SRW1000

Quote from: bschlafer;54450Has anyone else noticed a problem with OTA channels briefly losing focus?

Occasionally the picture will snap out of focus, for a second or two, and then zoom back into focus.  This seems to happen on Milwaukee's WDJT 58-2 and 58-3, but I think I've also seen it on ION TV's local affiliate WPXE 55-1 & 55-3.  

Is this a broadcast problem at the station (or network feed)?  Or is a problem with my tuner?  I have a 42" LG plasma connected to a OTA antenna.

I can't remember seeing this problem prior to the digital conversion.  It never seems to do it during commercials (of course) and seems most prevalent during live sports broadcasts - such as today's Syracuse vrs. Pittsburgh BB game.  It may be linked to movement, or graphics appearing and changing on the screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

*Bill
I think what you're seeing is the compression schemes trying to dynamically keep up with rapidly changing pictures.  This will be especially evident on stations that multicast with an HD channel - CBS58 and WTMJ.  As more programs compete for the limited OTA bandwidth, there's less data that can be transmitted at any given moment.

If you have a pause or freeze function on your TV, try hitting it at the moment you notice the blurring.  See if the picture is blocky-looking.  If so, it a compression related problem.

It should be evident on commercials, too, bu the momentary fade to black may help mask the problem.

Scott

bschlafer

Thanks for the feedback Scott.

You may be right, it looks like bandwidth issues.

Watching today's Dolphin-Steelers game on 58-1, I'm seeing the same thing, albeit much reduced.  It's real evident when you look for it.  CBS/WDJT needs to fix this.

*Bill

SRW1000

Quote from: bschlafer;54464It's real evident when you look for it.  CBS/WDJT needs to fix this.

*Bill
I don't think there's any fix for this, other than to stop multicasting.  They can do some other things, like reduce resolution, and look for better compression solutions, but there isn't really enough bandwidth in an OTA signal to allow one HD channel and three subchannels.  With all the additional stations they have, it's too bad they couldn't move some of that programming to 41 or 49, and offer the best HD quality they can.

Scott

bschlafer

Sure hope they get their act together before March.  Once the NCAA Tourney starts, they will be some very grumpy fans (myself included).

Seems like two channels with higher quality picture would be better than a bunch of fuzzy pixelated unwatchables.

Come on WDJT!  You can do better!

*Bill

troyriley

Quote from: SRW1000;54467With all the additional stations they have, it's too bad they couldn't move some of that programming to 41 or 49, and offer the best HD quality they can.

Preferably, 49, not 41. Although 49 itself has a pathetically weak signal right now, 41 is low power and and would leave many viewers unable to watch programming on the sub-channels. I wonder if the plan is to move these sub-channels to 49 since 49-2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 are reserved for future channels.

murdoc

Quote from: bschlafer;54487Sure hope they get their act together before March.  Once the NCAA Tourney starts, they will be some very grumpy fans (myself included).

Seems like two channels with higher quality picture would be better than a bunch of fuzzy pixelated unwatchables.

Come on WDJT!  You can do better!

*Bill

A few years ago, they multi-cast 5 different games.  The PQ was worse than watching a webcam (no joke).  If they have the option to reduce bandwidth on the subchannels why don't they?  My CBS viewership is overall on the low side.  When you have a local affiliate pulling this bush league garbage, you have to wonder how soon before others start to leave as well.  

The sad thing is, in this day and age, the programing is available elsewhere (I'm talking torrents mostly), and if you can wait the few hours for the show to become available you can download and watch in full HD.  This isn't a problem for me since I normally timeshift all my viewing anyway.  The 1-2GB file is downloaded in a few hours and I stream it (in full HD) to my PS3 on my bigscreen.