News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New HD Channel issues

Started by greg210, Thursday Nov 19, 2009, 06:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg210

Early this AM I noticed new HD channels up and running. Then some of them were gone....Not available/try again later. BBC HD TCM HD SYFY HD etc. Then later some were back. I called tech support and they stated there were some issues they were working on.

Now its worse. Seems like there are outages above 1100. Mostly the newer added HD channels. In fact one of my HD boxes, the one w/o the DVR gets stuck and wont change channels once its in the HD range.

This is the same on both boxes (unavailable channels). Rebooted both...no change. Called tech support and now the woman who answered said there are no issues and wants to send out a tech to fix my boxes??!??!??!

Cmon...........This isn't a box issue!!!!

Any help here???    :mad:

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

greg210

TIME WARNER CABLE......But like I said...the phone reps and the field techs must not communicate as all back to normal now!!!!!

jfelbab

Seeing the same thing on two 8400 HDC boxes. :mad:  

Recordings are coming up blank.  Channels I set up to record in HD seem to have switched to non-HD channels.  Guess it's time to call them again.  It costs them a lot of money to keep rolling trucks out to swap out hardware when the problem is not in the hardware.  But if that's the way they want to play the game I'll keep calling until they get their act together.

Maybe it's just me and my particular issues but I think their service quality has slipped as of late.

Jack 1000

Quote from: jfelbab;53993Seeing the same thing on two 8400 HDC boxes. :mad:  

Recordings are coming up blank.  Channels I set up to record in HD seem to have switched to non-HD channels.  Guess it's time to call them again.  It costs them a lot of money to keep rolling trucks out to swap out hardware when the problem is not in the hardware.  But if that's the way they want to play the game I'll keep calling until they get their act together.

Maybe it's just me and my particular issues but I think their service quality has slipped as of late.

I had a small problem with mild pixiation on one of the sister Showtime channels tonight.  When there was rapid action in the picture, there would be a very brief but noticeable fluctuation of the image, as if the rapid action could not keep up with the picture.  But note that tonight this was on an SD, not an HD channel. When there was little to no movable content in the picture, it looked great.

Also this was when I played it back on my DVR, so I don't know if it was like that when it was recording or not.  They might be doing some software updates or system maintenance.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

jfelbab

So this morning I checked the list of things to be recorded and verified that I had the Packer Game scheduled (1106).  It didn't record and there is no indication as to why.  What a POS this box is.

Rebooting made no difference.

I have NASCAR set up and I'll be watching to see if that starts.

Along with this I'm getting a lot of dropouts and stuttering of both audio and video on this HD channel, WITI 1106.

Thank you TW.:mad:

Jack 1000

Quote from: greg210;53970Early this AM I noticed new HD channels up and running. Then some of them were gone....Not available/try again later. BBC HD TCM HD SYFY HD etc. Then later some were back. I called tech support and they stated there were some issues they were working on.

Now its worse. Seems like there are outages above 1100. Mostly the newer added HD channels. In fact one of my HD boxes, the one w/o the DVR gets stuck and wont change channels once its in the HD range.

This is the same on both boxes (unavailable channels). Rebooted both...no change. Called tech support and now the woman who answered said there are no issues and wants to send out a tech to fix my boxes??!??!??!

Cmon...........This isn't a box issue!!!!

Any help here???    :mad:

Greg,

Did you have to call back to schedule a truck roll, or did your box correct itself?  Sometimes when a warm reboot does not work, turning the box off  and than unplugging it for about 10 minutes or so can get bad data out that can build up over a period of time.  This process will often resolve issues when a warm reboot does not work.

If a cold reboot does not solve the problem, than they could be working on something. If the problem still persists after a few days, it could either be a box issue, an issue with signal strength, or an issue with the cable inside or outside the home.  If the cable lines are old and are the source of picture problems or frequent box reboots, the line may have to be replaced and the output signal adjusted for the proper signal strength.

Far too many independent contractors who are masquerading as in-house techs are too quick to replace boxes when signal or line strength may be the culprit and NOT the box.  That is why when you set up a service call, ALWAYS REQUEST AN IN-HOUSE TECH AND NOT AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR!  The difference in what they do and their knowledge is like night and day.

If your issue has been resolved without a service call, there have been several reports of some signal issues since the new HD channel acquisitions of approximately last week.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Tivoman44

Is it true that the inhouse employees drive the actual van while the contract workers drive smaller vehicles?

LoadStar

Quote from: Tivoman44;54215Is it true that the inhouse employees drive the actual van while the contract workers drive smaller vehicles?

I'm pretty sure that the contract employees will almost always have vehicles that are marked as such - that is, "Company Name under contract to Time Warner Cable" or something like that. I'm fairly certain that if you see a Time Warner-branded truck, it's an actual Time Warner tech.

Tivoman44

Hey Loadstar,
Does your Tivo guide by chance have program info for the newest HD channels like G4 and MSNBC, etc?  Tonight mine did not, running the guided set up again as I type this.

LoadStar

Quote from: Tivoman44;54238Hey Loadstar,
Does your Tivo guide by chance have program info for the newest HD channels like G4 and MSNBC, etc?  Tonight mine did not, running the guided set up again as I type this.

My TiVo just got updated moments ago with the new HD channels:
1102 - DXDHD (Disney XD)
1106 - CRTHD (Cartoon Network)
1140 - BIOHD (Biography)
1156 - GRNHD (Planet Green)
1159 - STYHD (Style)
1208 - E!HD (E!)
1214 - WEHD (WE)
1217 - TV1HD (TV One)
1277 - AMCHD (AMC)
1280 - IFCHD (IFC)
1303 - ESUHD (ESPNU)
1324 - NHLHD (NHL)
1325 - NBAHD (NBA)
1329 - G4HD (G4)
1330 - OUTHD (Outdoor Channel)
1353 - FBNHD (Fox Business)
1354 - MSNHD (MSNBC)
1370 - TWCHD (The Weather Channel)

Tivoman44

Mine is on the last process of the guided set up.  Do you actually have program information on the guide for those channels?

LoadStar

Quote from: Tivoman44;54240Mine is on the last process of the guided set up.  Do you actually have program information on the guide for those channels?

Yeah... it's a little slow to display, but it's there.

Tivoman44

Well that's good.  Mine is now 98% loaded, so hopefully mine will reflect as well.

Tivoman44

HEY what do you know it's finally there!  I am happy, now if only the NFL network was on TWC.  

By chance does your Channel 1354 say MNBCHD, missing the S to make it MSNBCHD?  Oh well nothings perfect.