• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any TWC Contract Retransmission/Update Agreements Here

Started by Jack 1000, Thursday Nov 26, 2009, 01:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

I just heard from TWC corporate that several stations are up for renewal contracts this year.  The difficulty in avoiding big rate increases always seems to be a problem when this happens.  This is what was published on the AVS Forums:

http://www.rolloverorgettough.com/

Has anyone contracted TWC to find out what networks will need contract renegotiations by the end of the year?  I heard that FOX networks has been difficult but can't confirm.  I am putting up this information now, which gives us until December 31st to get new information on how contract retransmission agreements are going.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Jack 1000

Programing notices and changes from the TWC-Milwaukee website.  If you personally value the channels that might be dropped, call to let them know!  (There is safety in numbers.)

http://www.timewarnercable.com/Wisconsin/learn/programming/legalnotices/legalnoticeSE.html

Some new HD channels talked about too.  We have some good and some uncertainty.

Jack

gparris

Looks like a whole bunch of HD channels are about to be added, including some premium HD movie channels, finally.
However, TWC messing up channels 6,18 and 24 for local access, what I view as the true reason why cable is purchased, is unconscionable.

TWC should remember that many folks that had a choice recently to get a digital convertor for the digital-only broadcasting just added basic cable (or more), as not everyone can get good signal or want to mess with rabbit ears and - a converter box. Most TVs are analogue cable-ready, so it was an easy choice - to get cable service.

Any stoppage of basic locals due to conflict in negotiations could spell trouble for TWC as those that thought they found an easy way out of the whole box and antenna thing (for the new digital) become once again faced with it to get their favourite programming. Once setup with the box and antenna, why go back to TWC at all (to get channel 6, 18 and 24)?

So the local stations, I would think, have the upper hand for now, as there is a way to get them, but not as easy as the consumer would like to (that box thing).
Locals have had to add digital equipment, now they want to add local HD programming (another upgrade) and of course, need more capital to do this.

Locals also, too, have to remember that, in an age of digital downloads of the favourite programming of network shows, including increasing amount of other channels being made available (including the HD ones being added by TWC), their slice of the advertising "pie" is being cut and some channels the cable customer cannot get will be written off after a time and not be missed, replaced by other venues, too.

So it is up to TWC to provide all the locals, absorb some cost and channel the remaining very carefully, never cutting of the most basic of channel service, period.
This battle of wits never has any good consequences once channels go dark, ever.:D

Jack 1000

What do you guys think will be the hardest and easiest negotiations?  I don't think that the smaller stations like Food Network shouldn't be a problem to renew.  But I think that FOX may be the most difficult.

In TWC's nationwide "Roll Over" or "Hang Tough" campaign in contract deals, you can't just pick one or the other.  It depends on the network popularity, cost increase asked, overhead upkeep.  Remember that U-VERSE and Dish services have retransmission agreements as well.  However, they don't seem to be noted as well as cable companies.  Dish (I think it was) lost Tru TV (Court TV at the time) for about two weeks after the negotiations had ended before they reached a new agreement, and TWC had the dispute with Viacom last year before a deal was literally struck five minutes before deadline.

TWC should really work the hardest to keep the locals.  I could just see subscribers NOT being able to watch FOX 6 for Packer Games or American Idol!  That would be devastating to this company! (And subs please say this when you call or vote in the surveys!)  Local broadcast also helps generate great revenue for the cable company and the local community.  The local broadcasters 4, 6, 10, 12, 18, 24, and 36 represent a very important marketplace for TWC local involvements.  You may know about their "Cable in the Classroom" and anti-drug campaign for schools, "Hang Tough."  All of those accreditations were mentioned on local network community channels.  You lose that, you lose local community involvement.

A big thanks to TWC for working on some very good new HD channels and Premium stations too!  The suggestion that I think is most important, and you can mention this when you call or e-mail is TWC SHOULD PLEASE UPDATE THE LOCAL SITES AS DEALS ARE MADE!  PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE SUBS HANGING AT THE 11th HOUR ON DECEMBER 31, 2009 WONDERING ARE WE GOING TO LOSE FOX 6 OR THE OTHERS MENTIONED!  POST THE PROGRAMING NOTICES IN BILLING STATEMENTS AS WELL, because their are many people who may not have computer access and need to know what is going on with the negotiations.

Keep our communities as informed and involved as possible.  Everyone, make sure you call with your issues or concerns

Jack