News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Lost a guide feature

Started by DXer720, Tuesday Dec 01, 2009, 02:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DXer720

I had a SA-8300HDC die on me (wouldn't turn on), got a new one & I can no longer setup the guide to first display my favorite channels.  

I had this feature before.  I'm not keen on having to step through all the channels I don't want to know about, to get to the ones that interest me.  

If this feature is gone for good, so am I.  

Hello DirecTV!

The Favorite Channel section of the settings has no option to sort channels as it used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jack 1000

Quote from: DXer720;54040I had a SA-8300HDC die on me (wouldn't turn on), got a new one & I can no longer setup the guide to first display my favorite channels.  

I had this feature before.  I'm not keen on having to step through all the channels I don't want to know about, to get to the ones that interest me.  

If this feature is gone for good, so am I.  

Hello DirecTV!

The Favorite Channel section of the settings has no option to sort channels as it used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On your box,

Does it have a "C" in the model number or not?

I did not know they were still giving out non-C boxes.  In the MDN versions of the Navigator Guide, they did remove the Sort By Features Option.  I thought the C-boxes, which are the ODN version of the guide still had Sort By Favorites, but that may be gone now.  Let me know what box you have.

If Sort by Favorites is gone, they did bring back the ability to select your favorites by pressing the FAV button on the remote when in the guide.  Before this feature was removed, it tuned users to the favorite channel regardless if the guide was showing.

You should call and request speaking to a Technical Operations Supervisor and complain about the removal of the Sort By Favorites feature and request that they add it back in a future software update.  Please have them forward this request to engineering.  MANY CUSTOMERS are upset about the loss of this feature.

Milwaukee currently has for the MDN box build # 2.4.6-19.  I do not know what the latest build is for ODN boxes here.  A version 2.5 is in Beta and a version 3.0 is in the works.

We MIGHT be getting a software update next year after the new HD channels are added.  There have been rumors that this will have things like Keyword Search, better search options, and I have heard the Sports Category is being reworked to search for Games and Teams.

If you have a non-C box, and you want that feature back, you'll have to swap it out for a C box for that feature.  If you have a C-box and you don't have that feature, all you can do is request it be added back in a software update or go with another provider that has it.

But sure, you should DEFINITELY complain to TWC about the loss of the Sort by Favorites.  That was ridiculous for them to take that feature out!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

DXer720

Thanks Jack.

Alas, I have an 8300-HDC.  There is no way now to avoid going through all the channels in the guide I don't want.

I don't watch anything in the upper 200s & above, but I do like some of the shows on the local broadcast extras in the 990s.  I have to slog all the 700 (not quite) channels to find what I want see what's playing.

Jack 1000

Quote from: DXer720;54044Thanks Jack.

Alas, I have an 8300-HDC.  There is no way now to avoid going through all the channels in the guide I don't want.

I don't watch anything in the upper 200s & above, but I do like some of the shows on the local broadcast extras in the 990s.  I have to slog all the 700 (not quite) channels to find what I want see what's playing.

The only workaround, (and this might really sound stupid) would be to make a list of all your favorite channels and enter them into the existing list. (Or select Clear All, and make a new list. of every channel that you watch.)  Than just press FAV every time for channel jumping.

The other thing you could do would be to set the box to turn itself on to the LOWEST numerical Favorite channel in your Favorite Channels List.  Than just use the FAV button and it will automatically ascend to the next channel upwards each time.  Doing this approach, you would never have to look at a channel you didn't want again.  Although your FAV button might wear out over time from all the use!!!! UGGHHH.

When you said you don't watch above 200, I take it you do not have an HDTV as all HD channels are now in the 1000's.  If that is the case and you got an HDTV you could just repeat the above process and access only the FAV button to jump from channel to channel.

I'll be interested to know if you go to Direct TV because of this.  In the meantime, or if you stay with TWC I would think the above process should work.

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;54045The only workaround, (and this might really sound stupid) would be to make a list of all your favorite channels and enter them into the existing list. (Or select Clear All, and make a new list. of every channel that you watch.)  Than just press FAV every time for channel jumping.

The other thing you could do would be to set the box to turn itself on to the LOWEST numerical Favorite channel in your Favorite Channels List.  Than just use the FAV button and it will automatically ascend to the next channel upwards each time.  Doing this approach, you would never have to look at a channel you didn't want again.  Although your FAV button might wear out over time from all the use!!!! UGGHHH.

When you said you don't watch above 200, I take it you do not have an HDTV as all HD channels are now in the 1000's.  If that is the case and you got an HDTV you could just repeat the above process and access only the FAV button to jump from channel to channel.

I'll be interested to know if you go to Direct TV because of this.  In the meantime, or if you stay with TWC I would think the above process should work.

Jack

Update:  I just mentioned your issue to the AVS forum which has a huge number of engineers and techs who follow the progress of the Navigator Guide.  For reference, they would like your version number.  Don't know if this will work or not, but on the non-C box, if you punch in channel 1900, it takes you to a software diagnostics page. Can you punch in that channel and use the Page+/- key to scroll through what should be about 6 pages.  Check for a software version number for us if you can.  The MDN (non-C box)  has it on page 6. Let us know what that number is.

If that process doesn't work, let us know.  Thanks!

Jack

DXer720

Thanks again, Jack.  The workarounds seem kind of clanky, but should work once I get used to them.

I misspoke.  I do have HD, but some of the channels aren't HD yet.  

This guide feature may come back.

I don't think that this new box has the newest software yet.  

In the big software upgrade earlier this year, I lost the feature of buffering 2 channels at once while not recording & the channel banner was no longer semi-transparent.  

This new box will do the buffering & the channel & info banners are again semi-transparent.  

I'm not sure when TWC sends software changes, but as soon as one comes, I think I might get the guide "favorite filter" back, & say goodbye to the other aspects I mentioned.

UPDATE:  The box is an 8300HDC & the software is version:  "MDN 2.4.6-19 ptv (Mt. Sherman)"