• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

New TWC HD Channels in Test Mode!!!

Started by Jack 1000, Wednesday Nov 04, 2009, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;57532Jack, you seem to know a lot about TWC. So I am wondering if you could assist me. Is this the "pixellation" I always see people talking about with Time Warner?:
http://i.imgur.com/UZTJW.jpg

I see these video errors occur fairly often. An hour long show will usually have an average of 3 or 4 of these video frames with an error in them. They can be quite irritating, but they are rarely as bad as this picture. This is a more blatant example I've selected. I never get audio errors, video errors only.

I have been assuming this is just Time Warner Cable's MPEG2 encoders sucking because I see a lot of people complain about "pixellation." As well, my signal levels on my DVR seem to be fine:
http://i.imgur.com/8nIiK.jpg

-10 to +10 with SNR of ~37 are adequate signal levels, yes?

Yes,

Good example of pixiation.  This is usually caused by poor signal strength due to problems in the node, problems in the line, and sometimes problems in the box.  First issue would be to check the drop pole and in-line cables coming into the home to test.

I am going to ask my engineering friend who seems to know more about TWC than TWC about those signal levels.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

gparris

Quote from: PONIES;57530Time Warner really needs to just finish killing off the analog channels. They are a complete waste of time.

By that you mean, a waste of bandwidth, yes.

Comcast to my immediate south, in Illinois, has limited the analogue access to a basic handful of channels, mostly local channels and that is it.
If you want more channel access, a free, easy-to-install convertor is available to you for the first 2 TVs you have, then a digital box for more of the regular "cable" channels, premiums and so forth.  
This cable company didn't mess around like TWC has, so afraid to change analogue basics to digital ones requiring a box or convertor, they just "did the deed".
Now, no one I know of, since I work in Illiniois and know subs with Comcast, says they ended their cable subscriptions because of that, so I don't know what TWC's fear of losing subs is coming from. This is now a time where HD channels are numerous and CRT sets are being replaced by flat panel sets, all of which offer HD display capability and easy hookup.

TWC: Comcast did it - so can you!:rolleyes:

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;57533Yes,

Good example of pixiation.  This is usually caused by poor signal strength due to problems in the node, problems in the line, and sometimes problems in the box.  First issue would be to check the drop pole and in-line cables coming into the home to test.

I am going to ask my engineering friend who seems to know more about TWC than TWC about those signal levels.

Jack

Hi,

Friend said your signal levels fall within acceptable limits.  There are some new stations being added soon, which may account for the pixiation.  Hold out for maybe two weeks if you can to see if it clears up on its own.  If it does not, you might be getting some fluctuation from time to time, and I would than request that they come out to replace the line-drop.  

I don't think this is a box problem.

Jack

PONIES

These channels are now viewable. (not properly placed in guide yet though)

PONIES

WTF.

It's 2 AM and I've lost service. All my HD channels became "currently unavailable." I attempted to reboot both my DVRs and neither one will start up now.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;57542WTF.

It's 2 AM and I've lost service. All my HD channels became "currently unavailable." I attempted to reboot both my DVRs and neither one will start up now.

Ponies,

What's the status of your service now?  (6:30am July, 8 2011)  Sometimes this is due to scheduled maintenance.  What were you doing as far as watching TV or DVR'ing when the outage occurred?  Is your service back?  If not, what shows up on the DVR display?

Jack

PONIES

Oh yeah it's back. It was down for about an hour. Quite irritating because it caused me to miss a show I was attempting to record. No re-airs listed in the next two weeks.

I figured it would be the test channels being officially integrated, but nope, you've still got to manually punch your way to them.

I also noticed a new test channel; NASA (1978). It says to call customer care to receive it so I think it's going to be in that higher "HD Plus" tier they offer for $7 more a month. I think they're also sticking Crime & Investigation HD in it.

But since it only says "NASA" and not "NASAHD" I don't know if this is the HD version... if it's not it's going to be an utterly useless addition. If anyone has that add-on HD tier perhaps someone can confirm it's only the SD version of the channel?

ddeerrff

Quote from: PONIES;57544I also noticed a new test channel; NASA (1978).
Sounds about right.  Last shuttle just launched today, with no further manned launches for years to come -- and *NOW* TWC adds NASATV.

Jack 1000

Quote from: PONIES;57544Oh yeah it's back. It was down for about an hour. Quite irritating because it caused me to miss a show I was attempting to record. No re-airs listed in the next two weeks.

I figured it would be the test channels being officially integrated, but nope, you've still got to manually punch your way to them.

I also noticed a new test channel; NASA (1978). It says to call customer care to receive it so I think it's going to be in that higher "HD Plus" tier they offer for $7 more a month. I think they're also sticking Crime & Investigation HD in it.

But since it only says "NASA" and not "NASAHD" I don't know if this is the HD version... if it's not it's going to be an utterly useless addition. If anyone has that add-on HD tier perhaps someone can confirm it's only the SD version of the channel?

NASA TV is going to be on the optional Digital Choice Pakage $4.95/mo I think.   That package is a rip-off IMO, but maybe this channel might boost subscriptions for it.  I can confirm that it will only be the SD version at this time.

Jack

gparris

Channel 1978 comes in as NASATV if you have the that package, it worked for me tonight. :D
Yes, finally, NASATV is available to TWC Wisconsin, with the last shuttle mission, but there will still be astronauts without the shuttles, NASA is also about airplanes, space sciences, astronautics and so on.
The channel is educational and the ISS will have broadcasts continuing, too, so there is still a need for NASATV.;)

PONIES

It's a pointless addition when NASATV HD is available to stream for free right here.

Now of course it's poor quality high definition, but it should still look marginally better than whatever SD version of the channel Time Warner adds to their cable system. They need to start carrying the HD version. NASA probably offers the channel to providers for free because it's on free-to-air satellite so I don't see what the problem is here. It would take two seconds to find some capacity on the network currently being unused to squeeze in NASA TV HD.

gparris

Many TWC locations have had NASATV for years, TWC Wisconsin is just "waking up" as it did with HD channel additions for the past year or so. :(

As far as streaming, many would prefer to access it, like any other channel or link up, from the TV remote without hooking up a computer to their TV, but your point is valid, thank you.:D

PONIES

I must say I am quite displeased to find my new channels have been removed from test mode and haven't been integrated properly either. Now I can't watch them at all.

What gives, TWC? They were working fine.

gparris

Quote from: PONIES;57573I must say I am quite displeased to find my new channels have been removed from test mode and haven't been integrated properly either. Now I can't watch them at all.

What gives, TWC? They were working fine.

NASATV is not listed on the channel line up as 369  and Nat Geo Wild is not avail...what happened?

gparris

Quote from: gparris;57577NASATV is not listed on the channel line up as 369  and Nat Geo Wild is not avail...what happened?

Found them still in test mode channels1976 & 1978!