• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Who else missed the US Open final?

Started by richjac, Monday Sep 14, 2009, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richjac

And, where is the Brewers game tonight?   I went searching for the Brewers, it was not on FSN, although it was shown there in the TWC program guide.   When I tried channel 7, I see the US Open tennis trophy presentation, a match that I had searched for this afternoon:mad:

Did CBS 58 decide to delay the match to prime time?   Who can I call to complain about the lack of program information?

mrschimpf

Quote from: richjac;53513And, where is the Brewers game tonight?   I went searching for the Brewers, it was not on FSN, although it was shown there in the TWC program guide.   When I tried channel 7, I see the US Open tennis trophy presentation, a match that I had searched for this afternoon:mad:

Did CBS 58 decide to delay the match to prime time?   Who can I call to complain about the lack of program information?

The Brewers game moved to WBME 49 for the first few innings as the tennis match became later and later on WMLW.

The entire tournament was delayed because of rain Friday and Saturday, pushing everything up; the women's final was on ESPN2 last night and the men's final started at 3pm or so this afternoon. Of course 58 wasn't exactly telling us their alternate schedule, so we had to find out on the fly.

Since CBS 58 has been promoting the premiere of "Dr. Oz" for months, they didn't want to pre-empt it, and they certainly didn't want to take the 'raging granny' calls from viewers of "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy!", so the men's final moved to WMLW, CBS 58 aired their regular schedule (and an extended hour-long newscast at 5pm because CBS New York didn't produce an Evening News for tonight), and around 6:45pm the scrolls on WMLW began to guide viewers to MeTV for the Brewers game.

Then at 7pm CBS jumped everybody (including those who were pre-empting the match in the Eastern/Central zones)  into the final set and we finally got to watch it in HD.

It was appalling to watch tennis on WMLW (or as Charter gets it, via 58-2); I could barely see the ball at all and the baselines of the court wavered in and out. I finally gave up around 6:30pm and watched it on the US Open website until 58 put it on their air.

But...it was actually worse in Green Bay for once. Because nobody dare pre-empts Queen Oprah and her Whitney interview, they moved the tennis to TWS 32 up there. Which would be fine...if you have Time Warner Cable. You were stuck on the web watching if you had satellite, Charter or Comcast/Manitowoc. And instead of airing an extended newscast at 5:30pm, they aired some government presentation about the Lambeau roundabouts which could put anybody to sleep in minutes.

Jack 1000

In Brookfield here, we knew of the delay through on-line information and Tennis buffs who were aware of what was going on with matches.  Channel 7-TWC's WMLW showed the match, but it was SD.

The problem is the TWC program guide will often take 24-48 hours to do a conventional update.  We have had this happen with both Passport and Navigator.  The system does not know how to compensate for a live sports delay as little as 12 hours later.  Sometimes, if they push an update through the head-end, you might get an update in 12 hours but not often.

There needs to be a better update system for all IPG's to deal with rain delay sports events!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide