News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

QUESTION - Why can't receive 4.1,4.2,6.2 in one tv

Started by viking, Sunday Aug 16, 2009, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viking

Having just joined this forum, I would like some help. I am receiving all digital/HD  channels on an 'upstairs' TV, but suddenly can't receive 4.1, 4.2, 6.2 on another TV, even though it worked fine before. I re-scanned and now it doesn't even list these as digital channels. What's going on?

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

tbarney

Quote from: viking;53138Having just joined this forum, I would like some help. I am receiving all digital/HD  channels on an 'upstairs' TV, but suddenly can't receive 4.1, 4.2, 6.2 on another TV, even though it worked fine before. I re-scanned and now it doesn't even list these as digital channels. What's going on?

Do you get 6.1 ?

brewtownska

Any recent changes to your wiring...like changing out a splitter or adding internet to the equation?  Are you using an antenna for your signal, or do you have Time Warner/Charter cable connected?  When you rescanned, does your TV ask if you're scanning for over-the-air channels or cable...and did you pick the right one?
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

viking

I am receiving a clear digital cable feed into the house as evidenced by good reception on the first TV in line. The signal is then split and amplified into other rooms in the house. Everything has worked just fine until now. Just the lower numbered hd channels are not being tuned in on my other set - . 4, 5, 6, come in just fine. I have checked and replaced the wiring connections and re-scanned. Now the lower hd channels don't even show up on the list and are not available when manually entered. Is there something unique about these 'lower' channels?

brewtownska

Ok, so if you're connecting cable directly to your TV, you're using the TV's QAM tuner.  That's how I've been getting most of my local HD too, so my experience shows that TWC tends to periodically change the frequency it broadcasts channels on.  Some tuners are good and finding the change automatically, others you have to rescan (which you've already tried).  So if 4.1 was actually on the cable frequency 89 (I just picked a random channel number there), the TV remaps to say it's 4.1.  For example, depending on which tuner I use in my house, some show CBS as 58.1, others show 85.5.  I know on over the air broadcasts, the PSIP data tells the tuners how to display the channels...I'm just not sure if cable passes the same data along, or if they have a different sort of data they use to talk with the tuner.  But it's obvious that different TVs pick up different things in the stream.

I'm guessing that if we can find what actual channel frequency your missing channels are on, we might be able to get the tuner to find them by going to THOSE channels manually (which will force the tuner to rescan the frequency and pull in any digital channels embedded).

It really might help to know specifically which TV you have - in case others on the forum have the same one and can help.  Also, if anyone else here reading happens to know the QAM channel frequencies TWC sends their local on before they are remapped, that would probably help.

I did some searching on the forum, and "tencom" posted this (back in April 2008, so it may have changed since then) which may be helpful:
"Only the local OTA HD channels, are available, via QAM cable. All the Milwaukee stations are available on cable channels 77, 85, 103, or 116,unencrypted, by FCC rules."

I know in my house 85.5 is CBS 58.1, 85.12 is ABC 12.1, and 116.1 is PBS-HD, so some of this is still accurate today.  See if you type in the 4 channels listed above manually, if your missing channels show up.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

viking

thanks for the suggestions. I have no trouble receiving ABC at 12.1, or CBS at 58.1. I also receive 10.1 just fine.  The problem seems to be with NBC and FOX-6. I took your suggestion and found WTMJ at 480i in the 90s.  Still would like to see these stations at 720i and 1080i.
Could it be the inside the house cable connections. The feed into the house is correct and functioning.

viking

The problem seems to be with NBC and FOX-6.
Could it be the inside the house cable connections? The feed INTO the house is correct and functioning. I am able to receive OTA on this Bravia set, but just not the "lower'  channels 4.1 4.2 4.3 6.1 in HD.

STILL NEED ADVICE

brewtownska

I doubt this is the issue, but can't hurt to check.  Find the splitter(s) used in the house and verify what useable mhz ratings are on the split.  The old splitters I think only went from like 5 to 500Mhz or maybe 1000Mhz, but I think the newer ones are supposed to go a lot higher, up to maybe 5000Mhz.  I think that was needed for Roadrunner to work, but I also think the QAM HD channels might be on those higher frequencies.  I know most of your channels are working, but all it would take is for these missing ones to be on the higher frequencies, therefore not working.

Another idea...if you have a splitter with any connections NOT being used, make sure to plug up the unused hole so you don't have signal loss.  Or even a wire run to another room but not actually connected to a TV...you can still lose signal there.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

viking

THANKS - I will give it a try. As I live in a home that is quite large ( 3 stories + ), the cable run inside the walls is also quite long. I presently split the signal three times as well as use two electric signal boosters.
..........thanks for staying on this and walking me through your suggestions. All channels worked just fine until a couple of weeks ago.

budda

If the tv is not to big or heavy, try moving it to a known working location in the house.  Check it there. Next do you also have TW cable?, Third try deleting all channels first on the troubled tv then rescan. sometime channels are mapped and won't come in. If you have TWC, you can hook up the cable and scan channels HD content will come in. Good luck{fart}