News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Updating firmware on Panasonic BD60

Started by Ralph Kramden, Sunday Sep 06, 2009, 12:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Kramden

I bought the BD60 a few days ago, and I need to update the firmware. I know nothing about computers, but a friend is going to help me. We have Road Runner broadband and a router to hook up player to. Does the player need to be hooked up to a monitor to do this? Are there on-screen prompts we need to follow? The reason I ask is, the player is downstairs with my projector, but there's no broadband down there. Any specific help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bigdog

Some of the players will show you what is going on in their little LED display but a monitor/tv would be a better choice. You might also be able to download the update on to your PC and then burn it to a CD and just put that into the player and let that flash it.  That might be easier and quicker than moving the player.

If you do want to give your player internet access and don't want to run network cable to it, there are other options such as WAP (wireless access point) where you plug the player into it and then that links to a wireless router that is plugged into your cable modem. Another way is powerline ethernet which use your home's AC wiring as the network cable with adapters on both ends to connect the unit into a router.

I've used both (in different situations) and both can work quite well if you are unable to run a network cable back to a router/switch

Bebop

Yes, you'll need to hook it up to a monitor for prompts. Unless you can remembered the key sequences.

Or you can goto monoprice and get a 100ft cat 5 cable  shipped to you in a few days for about $15. That would be the easier way any time the player needed update.

Your player is capable of VOD from Amazon and other sources. A wireless hook up is the best if you want to take advantage of those  features.

If your player and router are close to duct works. You can try running cable to the player through the ducts.  I did that with my player, because I found wireless unreliable.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

vegasvic

I have a different player but I find it easiest to just burn the update on CD and run it from that.  Simple and quick.

Ralph Kramden

Thanks guys. I know someone here has this player. I am going to order a Cat5 cable from Monoprice.com. I was looking last night, and they have a 75 footer for $12.57 shipped. My friend is going to help me tomorrow though. If he brought his laptop, would that work for the monitor? Our router is wireless.

brewtownska

I don't know if anyone else went through the trouble of looking into this particular model's firmware update proceedure, but I just did.  The good news is if you do go the route of burning the firmware to a CD, the process is AUTOMATIC as in you don't need to use a monitor to make any button presses or choose any options.  You can confirm this by reading this link to the firmware loading instructions:
http://images.panasonic.com/static/Content/productsupport/BD60-FRM-INSTALL.pdf

This is a link to the panasonic website where you can then choose to download the firmware.  Once you click it, you'll get a popup (and that is also where I got the instructions to load the firmware).
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Video/Blu-ray-Disc-Players/Drivers-Downloads/model.DMP-BD60K.D#ts

Unless you can think of other uses of a 75 foot cat5 cable, I would suggest giving this a try first as I don't think you need to go to the extreme of connecting directly to a router.

Mike
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Ralph Kramden

I know about burning it to a CD, but I read a lot of guys are having trouble using this method. They said the easiest way is to hook up to your ethernet connection.

Bebop

Internet updating is the easiest way. I updated my Panasonic today and it took less than 10 minutes.

I also checked out Amazon's VOD. Their HD movies' quality is very good. But at $6 a rental, I'll past.

If your friend's laptop can burn a disk and don't want to wait for your cable. Here is the link:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bd60/bd60_na.html

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

Quote from: brewtownska;53420This is a link to the panasonic website where you can then choose to download the firmware.  Once you click it, you'll get a popup (and that is also where I got the instructions to load the firmware).
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Video/Blu-ray-Disc-Players/Drivers-Downloads/model.DMP-BD60K.D#ts

Unless you can think of other uses of a 75 foot cat5 cable, I would suggest giving this a try first as I don't think you need to go to the extreme of connecting directly to a router.

Mike

Interesting, your link is for 1.7. The latest firmware is 1.9.

You'll surprised  how handy a 75ft cable can be. I have one.  :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

brewtownska

Yes, the firmware version is interesting - US site is still promoting an old version whereas the Japan site is a newer version.  I wonder which would be found via the internet update on the player?
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii

Bigdog

If that was me I'd be careful about updating the firmware from another region.

markd

The Japanese site is actually labeled as "North America & Latin America" on the site.  The firmware is fine.  I, and many others at AVS, have been running 1.9 since it came out in July.

Also, Ralph Kramden, burning the disk shouldn't be a problem.  Since the US site doesn't have 1.9, the majority of owners have updated via burning a CD anyway and I don't recall any major issues reported.  It is very easy and you won't need to be connected to any display (as was previously reported in this thread, the process is automatic and you'll get status updates on the players little LED screen).

Enjoy the player, btw.  You made a good choice :rock:

Bebop

I updated mine last night to 1.9. That's how I knew.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun