News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

DircTV and Weather

Started by RLJSlick, Tuesday Aug 25, 2009, 11:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

Who else DirecTV is out because of this storm?  I really like DirecTV but this !@#$ have to stop.:mad:
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

Tom Snyder

Heavy weather rolled through up here during dinner. First lost the HD channels, so switched to the SD version. But even the SD went out, but only out for a little bit. HD was out for several hours. Glad I still have my antennas. OTA never disappeared.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

troyriley

Don't let the cable companies see this thread. They'll assume satellite goes out all the time. Then they will advertise that and pretend cable never goes out.

Dish Network only went out for a few minutes around 11 pm where I am. Like Tom, I flipped over to OTA. The program I was watching will be on again, so no problem.

techboy

On Monday afternoon between about 1pm and 6pm, TWC was out all over the north east side of Milwaukee county....Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Glendale, Fox Point, River Hills.....All dead.  Sure glad I don't have my telephone service with them.  At least I was able to call TWC and find out the problem was there equipment and not mine.   Point is, from time to time, weather or equipment will take down all systems.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

Matt Heebner

wow...I lost directv for only about 20 min total. I was watching the Brewers, and missed about 1/2 an inning on 669-1.

gb4fan92

Quote from: Matt Heebner;53271wow...I lost directv for only about 20 min total. I was watching the Brewers, and missed about 1/2 an inning on 669-1.

same here !!

techguy1975

I've only used DirecTV, or a similar type system twice in my life..  Once, in a apartment complex I lived in, they ran their own private cable system, and several channels were delivered through direcTV.  Those stations would consistently go dark during storms.

More recently, when I was on vacation in Nashville this summer, I stayed at a Intown Suites, again, the cable tv system used DirecTV for delivery of channels.  We had a heavy rain storm one night, and most the channels were out till the storm cleared.  I cannot recall every losing my TWC cable service.  There have been a few times when I lost RoadRunner, most of those were very late in the evening/early morning and could of just been routine maintenance

Stanley Kritzik

In the North Shore Suburban area, I've had some minor rain-out and snow-out situations with DirecTV, such as a few wash-out minutes the other night.  Last wiinter, I had to visit my dish with a broom, too, a couple of times for some heavy snow.  Meanwhile, the OTA antenna delivered the local channels fine, so I have no major issue.

Others have reported some area-wide cable outages from time-to-time, and I've had a few Road Runner glitches, too.

My point is that no service provider is perfect, and while I'd be unhappy to miss something critical due to a rainstorm, for me, the outages have been infrequent and non-critical.  Take your pick, I guess, and look at other factors, too, such as programming, DVR quality, HD picture quality, etc.  All in all, I'm sticking with what I have.

Stan

techguy1975

As one whos worked for both a large ISP and cell phone provider, Murphy's Law definitely does apply.  No matter how well planed and redundant your network is, there will always bee some unforseen issue that will take place and cause a outage