News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Overcompression during the Packer game 8/15 TWC

Started by Rick_EE, Saturday Aug 15, 2009, 10:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_EE

I am watching the game on my TWC DVR and the overcompression is so bad, it is nearly unwatchable.  Especially during a close up of a running player.

Is this a TWC issue or WTMJ?  Anyone watch it OTA?

troyriley

I watched it OTA and noticed the same thing, especially on close-ups with a lot of movement.

jjallou

The picture looked a hell-la-va lot better on 18 last year.
At least the team performed pretty well though.

Bebop

Quote from: Rick_EE;53132I am watching the game on my TWC DVR and the overcompression is so bad, it is nearly unwatchable.  Especially during a close up of a running player.

Is this a TWC issue or WTMJ?  Anyone watch it OTA?

You can thank the sub-channels.

It's the same problem with 58.  It was bad when I was watching golf today. Just imaging when the fast action football season starts.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Jack 1000

Quote from: Bebop;53135You can thank the sub-channels.

It's the same problem with 58.  It was bad when I was watching golf today. Just imaging when the fast action football season starts.

How can this problem be corrected through all types of broadcasts?

1.) Cable

2.) OTA

3.) Dish

4.) U-Verse

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Bebop

OTA-eliminate sub-channels

All others, reduce further compression.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Rick_EE

I watched a little of golf today on WDJT.  It was so annoying, I went back to the science channel.

This is getting very disappointing.  Spending a lot on HD equipment, and then they don't even have the courtesy of providing HD picture.

Hopefully, the subchannels disappear when they realize that no one is watching.

I wish there was some way they could provide an uncompressed signal TWC.

Bebop

Broadcasted digital signals are compressed due to limited bandwidth. The bit rate determines the quality.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

troyriley

If the same problem occurs during this upcoming Saturday's game at Lambeau on channel 4, I'll flip over to WKOW-27 Madison to see if they have the same issue. Unfortunately, 27 also has subchannels (27.2 & 27.3).

Did anyone happen to watch the game vs. Cleveland on a channel other than 4?

techboy

I used TSReader to check the bit rate on wtmj OTA stream.  Keep in mind that wtmj uses a statistical multiplex encoder to dynamically allocate data among the sub streams.  Over a 1 minute average time Ch4.1  12.56Mbbs   /   Ch4.2  2.67Mbbs   / Ch4.3  2.76Mbbs.    In Milwaukee, WVTV undoubtedly looks the best as they use the full 17.4Mbbs for just one stream.
Retired Broadcast TV / Radio Engineer WTMJ. ( 35 Yrs )

Bebop

Another solution is to turn off all sub-channles during prime time programs.

How many people are actually watching those channels during prime time or a Packers game?

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

jfelbab

If you were paying the network for this broadcast you might want to reconsider your investment as I stopped watching.  The PQ was reminiscent of 1960's TV quality.  If this is what the Packer games will look like in the future, I certainly won't be watching.

I have several thousand dollars invested in Hi-Def gear and I didn't spend this money to watch crappy quality programming.  

You would think the network would be embarrassed to broadcast such poor quality.

:mad:

Rick_EE

I watched it in SD saturday in FDL.  PQ was fine.

How was it last night here in HD?

beeper

Quote from: Rick_EE;53219I watched it in SD saturday in FDL.  PQ was fine.

How was it last night here in HD?

A week ago (8/15) I watched OTA 4.1 and the HD PQ was good. I only watched the first half.

Saturday (8/22) it was broadcast OTA in SD source and converted to 1080i 4:3 stretched to 16:9, and looked terrible. TMJ4 HD removed their bug since it wasn't HD.

Setting my TV to 4:3 cured the incorrect aspect ratio, but then most of the commercials had a squeezed aspect ratio. (Not that I cared, but the advertisers might.)

budda

Quote from: techboy;53150I used TSReader to check the bit rate on wtmj OTA stream.  Keep in mind that wtmj uses a statistical multiplex encoder to dynamically allocate data among the sub streams.  Over a 1 minute average time Ch4.1  12.56Mbbs   /   Ch4.2  2.67Mbbs   / Ch4.3  2.76Mbbs.    In Milwaukee, WVTV undoubtedly looks the best as they use the full 17.4Mbbs for just one stream.

I have a question? The Packers game, looked like crap. I watch almost all content in HD now. Almost always including other football games it looks great if not better. The quality may suffer from the -1,-2,-3 channels but, I think it is more then that example fox has three channels and 6-1 looks great. All the Mbbs and 720P vs 1080P. Yes there is a difference but come on guys something else caused this crap on this game. The old somebody just didn't flip the right switch or what ever. IMO,Peace{fart}