News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Overcompression during the Packer game 8/15 TWC

Started by Rick_EE, Saturday Aug 15, 2009, 10:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeper

Quote from: budda;53276I have a question? The Packers game, looked like crap. I watch almost all content in HD now. Almost always including other football games it looks great if not better. The quality may suffer from the -1,-2,-3 channels but, I think it is more then that example fox has three channels and 6-1 looks great. All the Mbbs and 720P vs 1080P. Yes there is a difference but come on guys something else caused this crap on this game. The old somebody just didn't flip the right switch or what ever. IMO,Peace{fart}

Yeah, it was broadcast with an upconverted standard definition source and horizontally stretched.

Kenoman

Did anyone have pixalating problems in last nights Packer game in HD? Or do I have a problem with my DVR? Other HD channels appear to be fine.

Talos4

Not only pixelating due to the reasons mentioned above, It seems they ran out of HD camera's too.

I thought we were headed for more uplink problems at first then I realized not all of the cameras were HD.

Pre-season, Gotta love it!

vegasvic

Between the horrible picture and production and Jessie Garica being clueless it was a horrible night.

Rick_EE

The Steeler-Titans game is bad.  I had to turn it off, it was so distracting.  I am thinking about organizing a boycott.  Maybe talk to advertisers.  It would be nice if the NFL put something in the contract.

I am extremely disappointed.  I got to enjoy one season of football in HD.  This is not HD anymore.  You can't call it 720p if you are only using half of the pixels.

budda

Quote from: Rick_EE;53468The Steeler-Titans game is bad.  I had to turn it off, it was so distracting.  I am thinking about organizing a boycott.  Maybe talk to advertisers.  It would be nice if the NFL put something in the contract.

I am extremely disappointed.  I got to enjoy one season of football in HD.  This is not HD anymore.  You can't call it 720p if you are only using half of the pixels.

I thought the Steeler game was great, I was using my Ant. Checked it out through Dish DVR, and straight through, looked fantastic? Maybe you had it stretched or zoomed? Just saying!{fart}

Rick_EE

It appears that the problem (from another thread) appears to be of TWC's making.

I good test would be the MNF game on ESPN HD.

Perhaps some wording needs to go into the rebroadcast agreement.

SRW1000

Quote from: budda;53474I thought the Steeler game was great, I was using my Ant. Checked it out through Dish DVR, and straight through, looked fantastic? Maybe you had it stretched or zoomed? Just saying!{fart}
I was also watching OTA, and it looked horrible.  Anytime that the camera panned, the picture became noticeably pixelated.

Sunday night's game should be a good test, since there will be lots of local eyes on it.

Scott

Rick_EE

Well, Sunday's PQ had all the same problems that we have seen from TMJ.  I emailed the person on their website for engineering with questions.  I was polite and did not complain, just asked for info.  So far, no response.

I watched a little of the late afternoon game on fox and I thought it was better.

I thought it ironic that Samsung ran a lot of ads for their 120Hz sets during the game.

Blitzburgh

I do not think the problems are local.

NBC's HD Sports are always bad and pixally.

If you want to see NFL HD at it's best look at CBS.

FOX is not pixally but soft and fuzzy looking.

NBC is fairly clear but alot of pixialtion during motion play (Nice for sports right...lol)

beeper

The biggest problem of the 9/13 Packers broadcast was the maladjusted 5.1 audio mix.

The announcer's center channel vocals were drowned out by the overly loud pulsating crowd noise in the rear surround and the music played in the mix. Most of the time, the announcers could barely be understood above the other noise.

Other sources of vocals fine. Prerecorded segments, commercials, referee vocals and halftime announcer vocals sounded normal.

My speaker volumes are adjusted with a THX audio setup disc. I watched the Minnesota game Sunday and the audio sounded normal.

Some people may not want to hear the announcers play by play vocals, but I do. Maybe they should have a SAP of just the announcers.

The audio problem was probably outside of WTMJ's control as are some other digital broadcast anomalies. The OTA PQ was great other than some occasional minor fast pan background blocking from the encoder assigning that part of the picture as background priority. That has been noticeable for years, even before subchannels were active.

budda

I have had only one game that sucked it was a pre season game picture was crap, I use a very good Ant., and run it thru my Dish DVR I do not use the locals that you would need to pay for and I don't use cable. Picture is very, very good. I am confused why so many have so many problems. For those who have TW well that answers that. But I am curious if you have Sunday ticket do the games have the same problem? As these are local feeds as well from other markets, just asking.:D

SRW1000

Quote from: budda;53512I have had only one game that sucked it was a pre season game picture was crap, I use a very good Ant., and run it thru my Dish DVR I do not use the locals that you would need to pay for and I don't use cable. Picture is very, very good. I am confused why so many have so many problems. For those who have TW well that answers that. But I am curious if you have Sunday ticket do the games have the same problem? As these are local feeds as well from other markets, just asking.:D
I'm watching via OTA.  The picture is horrible.  Any time the camera pans, the picture becomes noticeably pixelated.

Some people are more bothered by this than others.  For those of us that have little tolerance for the compression artifacting, it's very frustrating.

The problem is caused by trying to fit an extra two SD channels into the bandwidth meant for a single HD broadcast.

Scott

budda

Quote from: SRW1000;53514I'm watching via OTA.  The picture is horrible.  Any time the camera pans, the picture becomes noticeably pixelated.

Some people are more bothered by this than others.  For those of us that have little tolerance for the compression artifacting, it's very frustrating.

The problem is caused by trying to fit an extra two SD channels into the bandwidth meant for a single HD broadcast.

Scott

Ok,  have seen some non perfect things on the screen, but in general a great picture. However, also some events on different channels are better then others. Maybe equipment used or what ever I think this is something we have to live with. I have 3 HD tv's and the 120hz Samsung lcd always has the best picture. Thanks for the feed back

Rick_EE

When I bought my TV a year ago, I had none of these issues for a full NFL season.

This is the first sports I have seen since the digital changeover on free tv.  The FSN brewer games are great.  At least they were this summer before I stopped watching.