• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

58-4 Now Broadcasting

Started by BK7725, Thursday Aug 06, 2009, 01:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK7725

All its showing right now is promos for WLMW, This TV, Telemundo, CBS, and Telemundo. They are just commercials for telling what shows are on each channel. It is also showing CBS58 Promos like "Just 10 Minutes". Does anyone have an idea to what will eventually be on this channel?

wysiwyg

I don't know what it will be used for, but what's airing now become extremely pixlated with the smallest amount of movement. On a side note, ME-TV 49 has been having major "hiccup" problems the last few days, and is on the verge of becoming unwatchable.

Irish

So, they've got all this space on 49, yet they keep cramming 58 full of crap. Pretty silly, especially since they've got room on 49 for two more channels and their little promo service from 58-4. Perhaps they could keep the promo thing there (and keep it low-bandwidth) and move This to one of the 49 subchannels. At least that's what I'd do.

RonH

CBS58 officially looks like garbage.  During the PGA championship last week I was using directv to be able to compare the New York CBS feed, the Milwaukee CBS feed, and then there were 3 other "special" channels for directv also in HD.

The "special" channels looked by the far the best, especially when the ball was hit on a drive.  All the compression on both CBS58 with there 3 subchannels and the NY feed with it's subchannels showed a blurry ball when hit.  My Kuro doesn't blur!  You could even notice it just in the resolution of the CBS watermark logo in the lower right non-corner.

I think CBS58 is going to be a disaster for football passes, and NCAA basketball is going to look like garbage this season.

I'm glad we all switched to HD so the local stations can cut down the signals from 19Mb/s to 9Mb/s to put on more commercials.

mrschimpf

There was a promo during Ferguson last night letting us cheerfully know that those who haven't done a scan lately should do so because 58.4 is getting...

Shorewest TV.

Yes, they went to all this effort to add a new channel only to tell us that Shorewest TV is moving from cable-only to broadcast 24/7 over 58.4.

Basically, our public airwaves are being used to air a fancy PowerPoint presentation of houses for sale, stopped occasionally for live-action house tip shows and Critter Gitters to make the FCC happy.

I understand this though...many people aren't going to watch this or beg for it on cable like MeTV or ThisTV, but it's guaranteed money for Weigel that'll come in every single day from one source. Although I'm going to grumble because it's taking more bandwidth, better that it's mostly still pictures than an all-infomercial channel that won't suck it up like a vaccum. At least someone will actually be interested in buying a house rather than some wonder gadget.

Bebop

This is getting to be ridicules. I think networks should impose a minimum bit-rate for their local affiliates to broadcast their shows.

It's like going to a bar and getting watered down liquor.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Jack 1000

Quote from: mrschimpf;53683There was a promo during Ferguson last night letting us cheerfully know that those who haven't done a scan lately should do so because 58.4 is getting...

Shorewest TV.

Yes, they went to all this effort to add a new channel only to tell us that Shorewest TV is moving from cable-only to broadcast 24/7 over 58.4.

Basically, our public airwaves are being used to air a fancy PowerPoint presentation of houses for sale, stopped occasionally for live-action house tip shows and Critter Gitters to make the FCC happy.

I understand this though...many people aren't going to watch this or beg for it on cable like MeTV or ThisTV, but it's guaranteed money for Weigel that'll come in every single day from one source. Although I'm going to grumble because it's taking more bandwidth, better that it's mostly still pictures than an all-infomercial channel that won't suck it up like a vaccum. At least someone will actually be interested in buying a house rather than some wonder gadget.

LOL!!!  Just what Milwaukee f***ing needs!!!!  Personally, I would rather what Mick and Mimi and The Magic Bullet!!!!  Best infomercial ever!!!

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Rick_EE

Quote from: Bebop;53690This is getting to be ridicules. I think networks should impose a minimum bit-rate for their local affiliates to broadcast their shows.

It's like going to a bar and getting watered down liquor.

I am thinking the same thing.  I was wondering if there could be a legal definition of Hi Definition.  

I watched part of the Pats Broncos game on CBS and it was a joke.  One time they had a close up of Kyle Orton jogging, and I would not have recognized the face.  I had to change the channel.

I even saw some pixilation in commercials.  I don't think the sponsors will like that.

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: Rick_EE;53693I even saw some pixilation in commercials.  I don't think the sponsors will like that.

That is exactly the angle needed to give pause to the bean counters.  Call the advertisers and tell them their ads on 58, or whatever channel, look like crap.

BennyDK69

I agree the game yesterday was brutal and between that and fox being off the air for maintenance it ruined my football day!