News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Wdjt-tv and directv reach hd agreement

Started by DanDyer, Wednesday Aug 05, 2009, 05:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanDyer

Milwaukee – WDJT-TV today announced an agreement has been reached with DirecTV regarding the distribution of the CBS 58 HD signal.  DirecTV satellite customers will be able to enjoy CBS 58 programming in High Definition as of Wednesday, August 5, 2009.

"We are pleased our DirecTV viewers will finally be able to view our programming in High Definition," said Jim Hall, General Manger of WDJT CBS 58.  He added, "This is just in time for the PGA Golf Championships in the next couple of weeks, US Open Tennis, NFL Football, and new CBS programming in September."

WDJT CBS 58, WMLW TV 41, WYTU, Telemundo-Wisconsin, WBME Me-TV and This TV represent the Weigel Broadcasting Co. family of stations serving Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin. Weigel Broadcasting is the largest provider of over the air television entertainment in Southeastern Wisconsin.

Cheesehead Dave

I got home to an automated voicemail from DirecTV saying as much.:rock:

Hmm... Maybe I'll spin my antenna around to face Chicago now that my main reason for putting one up in the first place has been made obsolete...

HDefinicktion

Yeah, I got a call....thought it was about some sort of price hike. Amazing! This will make football season in the basement even better, CBS and FOX Milwaukee, and CBS and FOX New York...Time to rotate the antenna and get some more Chicago coverage.

RLJSlick

We got the same call! About time, they already have the channel up and running, good to see right before the Football Season!
Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

jjallou

Can't really call it HD since it's only 10Mbps via OTA and that's how DirectTV picks it up. It looks even worse since they added 58-4 (Do a re-scan Lately?).

Mark Strube

Quote from: jjallou;53017Can't really call it HD since it's only 10Mbps via OTA and that's how DirectTV picks it up. It looks even worse since they added 58-4 (Do a re-scan Lately?).

Which providers use OTA, and which providers use fiber? Does it depend on the channel? Do the fiber providers get a higher bitrate source? I've never seen a clear all-encompassing answer on this.

WITI6fan

Quote from: Mark Strube;53020Which providers use OTA, and which providers use fiber? Does it depend on the channel? Do the fiber providers get a higher bitrate source? I've never seen a clear all-encompassing answer on this.

I think only cable/telco companies use fiber, and the rest use OTA picked up at a central pickup/uplink facility in the area.

Bluto

gparris

Directv offering at least the four major local network affiliates in Milwaukee, no more battling (and losing for some like me) OTA in some locations for CBSHD anymore, a big win for Directv - and - CBS58HD.
The Directv site now shows all 4 HD locals when you put your zipcode in in Milwaukeeland, very competitive for those looking for a one-dish solution.
Those fence-sitters looking for the best subscription based HDTV delivery can look to either TWC or Directv now (or even U-Verse where available) with the same HD major-network availability, just from different set-top boxes.;)