News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Grounding an Antenna

Started by greg_brady, Saturday Aug 08, 2009, 07:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg_brady

As I watch today's thunderstorms arrive on radar, I'm thinking about my newly installed ungrounded antenna on my roof.

Can anyone tell me what I really need to do to ground it?  I get mixed advice on the internet.  Do I need to buy a grounding rod or can I ground on a water pipe in my basement?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kelly

budda

If it was me I would get the correct grounding rod and put it in the ground out side. Reasons are. Grounding rod cost about 1.50 from Skywalker. If you have no ground to the Ant., it can cause problems like noise signal loss and it is safer. Only short cut would be. Outside where your ELEC., service is for your house, there is a rod you can tie into as well. If you have Satellite, the installer may have used another rod which you can also tie into. But make no mistake, having an isolated ground for just the Ant., is the correct way. A ground is better then none.

SRW1000

You need to ground an outdoor antenna.  Codes vary be location, so it would be best to consult with an electrician if you're unsure.

From what I've read previously, you can ground it using a grounding rod, but it's important for that grounding rod to be connected to the grounding system used for the rest of your house.

Scott

Nels Harvey

It's best to use a single point grounding system for your house and antennas.  This means connect to the power entrance ground.  If a separate ground rod is installed there can be a potential difference between grounds, and you can experience hum bars, or other disturbances in your system.

Many older homes only have one ground rod at the service entrance.  This may have eroded over the years and may not be as effective as needed.  A good idea would be to add two, or even three, new 8 ft. ground rods close to the original power entrance ground rod.  Two, and even three, connected ground rods now is code in many places.  Be sure to connect a hefty ground wire between each ground rod to further reduce the potential difference.

From this ground rod network run a quality ground wire to any external antennas you may have on your house.  With good connections, this ground system will drain most potential differences between the antennas and the sky, and seriously reduce the chance of a lightning strike.  Without a good ground system you are flirting with disaster!

Nels....
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Bebop

I'm not  good example. But I have been using a separate ground for my OTA for over ten years without problem.

My service ground is at the opposite end of the house from the antenna.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

bschlafer

Be sure to call Diggers Hotline before you start pounding those rods into the ground!  

You never know if there's an underground gas line or electrical cable that you could accidently hit.  Don't ask me how I know this....   :rolleyes:

*Bill