• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Blu-ray - DOA?

Started by Danno321, Sunday Aug 02, 2009, 09:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talos4

"Our" perspective of the whole issue is more than a bit skewed.

We have to remember to look at the issue from a broad perspective rather than through "ours".

It has to be acknowledged that we are still the minority when it comes to everything being discussed here.

The average media consumer lags behind the so called "early adopters"  I think if you asked the average consumer if they had an HTPC, fully networked STB's, PC's Media servers. Xbox, PS3's, etc etc, you would get a :huh?:

While the numbers of HD consumers is growing the users of other "new" technology is still relatively small.

Many are using services like Hulu and Vudu becuse they can access it via their PC's, but how many can integrate it into their living room TV. OR even know that it can be done?

Many Xbox and PS3 users know they can use the internet to buy points, and play multiplayer games, but how many know they can integrate their PC's?

I know a couple of Xbox users that had no idea that they could access their PC's and play that content on their TV's.

The only stumbling block I see with the distribution integration into the mainstream is whose Codec's are going to be used, and which will become the standard?  

How many codec's are being used just for audio? Dozens, Which one becomes the standard?  

I prefer FLAC files, my MP3 player does not.  

It's the same with video.

The marketers of these codecs all claim theirs is best.    

How in the world is anyone going to agree which one(s) should be the standard?

Danno321

Quote from: Talos4;53120I prefer FLAC files (for audio)

Ditto.  I use SqueezeCenter to stream FLAC audio files to wireless Squeezeboxes.  Just switched from a Kurobox HG NAS to a Qnap 239 turbo Pro NAS to store the FLAC audio files and run SqueezeCenter.  I use OGG format (batch convert from FLAC) on my portables.