News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Please explain TV On Screen Logo's etc

Started by Mags, Saturday Jul 25, 2009, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mags

This issue has been driving me nuts for awhile.... it was very apparent last night during the Brewer game...

I have Directv, not that it changes anything.  I watch the game on 669 and the Fox Sports Net logo is aligned with the right edge of the SD screen, and the game scoreboard is pushed all the way to the left of the screen.  Just as it should be.

I turn to 669-1 and, even though it is an HD 16x9 screen, the scorebox and logo are in exactly the same place - they are not adjusted to the edges of the screen, but rather appear to be in the middle of the screen.  Why is that?

I'm watching the HD version of the FOX basebal game now - same thing, the scoreboard and logos are pushed way in to the middle of the screen.

Does anyone know why the HD channels are screwed up?  I mean, we've known about this Digital transition for years now.  No more analog - so that shouldn't be an issue.  Can't they fix this?

Not a life or death thing, but the improper placement of these items on the screen (this also includes the channel logos on the bottom of the screen) DEFINITELY take way from the enjoyment of the programming....

Any ideas?

SRW1000

Quote from: Mags;52878I turn to 669-1 and, even though it is an HD 16x9 screen, the scorebox and logo are in exactly the same place - they are not adjusted to the edges of the screen, but rather appear to be in the middle of the screen.  Why is that?
Even though these shows are shot for HD, they're still framed for people with 4x3 sets.  If they were to put the graphics in place for HDTV viewers, the people using SD sets would be missing information (unless they were all to use the letterbox option, but some don't know what that is, or don't like having black bars).

As HDTV adoption increases, this will change, but that will take years.

And yes, it is annoying for those of us with HDTVs.  Keep in mind that this also affects how some shows are shot and framed.  While there is information on the sides of the picture, the critical content of the show is usually kept in the 4x3 safe zone.

Scott

Mags

Quote from: SRW1000;52879Even though these shows are shot for HD, they're still framed for people with 4x3 sets.  If they were to put the graphics in place for HDTV viewers, the people using SD sets would be missing information (unless they were all to use the letterbox option, but some don't know what that is, or don't like having black bars).

As HDTV adoption increases, this will change, but that will take years.

And yes, it is annoying for those of us with HDTVs.  Keep in mind that this also affects how some shows are shot and framed.  While there is information on the sides of the picture, the critical content of the show is usually kept in the 4x3 safe zone.

Scott

Ahh.. thank you, now I understand.  

It is frustrating though - this has been a long time in coming, and I'd hate to have to wait 20 more years for them to fix their logos.

They could be proactive, and move the logos to the correct spot, and that might incent people to buy a 16x9 TV!

SRW1000

Quote from: Mags;52880Ahh.. thank you, now I understand.  

It is frustrating though - this has been a long time in coming, and I'd hate to have to wait 20 more years for them to fix their logos.

They could be proactive, and move the logos to the correct spot, and that might incent people to buy a 16x9 TV!
Yeah, it is frustrating.  Just getting consumers educated about letterboxing would be a step forward.  It took a long time with home video, but it seems pretty well accepted now.  Maybe all the converter boxes could have defaulted to letterboxed format, but that probably would have resulted in even more upset calls to the help centers asking why there are black bars on their screen.

Until then, enjoy all the prerecorded DVD and BD content out there that is perfect for your HDTV.  The other stuff will catch up, eventually.

Scott

Mags

Quote from: SRW1000;52881Yeah, it is frustrating.  Just getting consumers educated about letterboxing would be a step forward.  It took a long time with home video, but it seems pretty well accepted now.  Maybe all the converter boxes could have defaulted to letterboxed format, but that probably would have resulted in even more upset calls to the help centers asking why there are black bars on their screen.

Until then, enjoy all the prerecorded DVD and BD content out there that is perfect for your HDTV.  The other stuff will catch up, eventually.

Scott

All great points!  Thanks for explaining the orginal issue to me, I appreciate it!

RonH

Or just ditch the logos alltogether, stations have really got out of control the past couple years.  Especially TNT, tbs, bravo.