• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Weak Signal - CBS58

Started by Buy_The_Tie, Saturday Jul 18, 2009, 09:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buy_The_Tie

I've got low signal levels on CBS-58 as well as MeTv.

Virtually all of the Milwaukee local stations come in at better than 90% signal level.  However, more often than not, 58.X is down in the 30% range or less.

I live in New Berlin, I have a roof mounted (single story ranch house) UHF Only Antenna, new last year.  It is a Radio-Shack model U-75R.  I have aimed it based on the recommendation of antennaweb.org.

I bought an inexpensive length of RG-6 which goes down to a grounding block in the basement, which in turn is connected to the utility ground of the house.  I also ran a ground wire from the mast of the antenna back to the same utility ground.

From the grounding block, I head off with a stretch of RG-58 (might be RG-6?) to a splitter at the back of my entertainment system.  One lead of the splitter feeds my TV (Sony XBR4) and my CECB (DTVPal).

There is a pretty good sized tree that stands between my antenna and the tower farm.  I do realize that the higher the frequency, the greater the effect of cables & trees.  I also realize that CBS-58 is one of the highest frequencies in the area.

Any ideas on how to get a better signal?

Bebop

Did you noticed the drop in signal after last week's repair?

I'm getting 30% drop in signal after 58 did their repair. It used to be in the upper 90s.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Buy_The_Tie

It has always been consistently bad for me, even back in the days of analog.

Bebop

58 is back to full power today. My meter is close to 100%.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

DanDyer

????  At 1am today, we have dropped to 50% power for some software upgrades on the control systems.  Since your original post, we have been operating at 100% power.  Since we made no changes during our power down night (no, there were no repairs), I can not explain your drop in signal, except for maybe the need for a rescan.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer

DanDyer

As of 4:30am, WDJT digital is back up to 100% power.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer

Buy_The_Tie

In order to determine if the CBS58 signal is good at the antenna, I'm going to drag the following things onto my roof:
1.  Small TV
2.  CECB Box
3.  Extension Cord

I'll report back what I find.

Bebop

Quote from: DanDyer;52831????  At 1am today, we have dropped to 50% power for some software upgrades on the control systems.  Since your original post, we have been operating at 100% power.  Since we made no changes during our power down night (no, there were no repairs), I can not explain your drop in signal, except for maybe the need for a rescan.
Dan Dyer
Chief Engineer

Didn't you guys powered down on July 12 for repair or something?

Since that day my signal was at 70%. I assume 58 lowed the signal.  I even did a rescan. But, what ever you guys did last nite. I'm back close to 100% again.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun