• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Americans Cool To Blu-ray

Started by RLJSlick, Monday Jun 22, 2009, 04:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebop

BB is not as popular as Netflix. I'm getting the latest Blu-ray within a day or two in the mail after the release.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Ralph Kramden

Quote from: Bebop;52623The PS3 is still the best Blu-ray player.

Why, because you own it? Can you be more specific?

AndrewP

Quote from: Bebop;52624BB is not as popular as Netflix. I'm getting the latest Blu-ray within a day or two in the mail after the release.

Never got it so fast. Usually I wait two three weeks.
It is better a little bit after they raised the price for BD for $1.

SRW1000

I don't think that's necessarily true anymore.  The PS3 has it's advantages, especially if you have an interest in using it for a network player or any interest in gaming.  Some of the stand alone machines are matching the PS3 for speed, compatibility, and DVD upconversion.

Also, the PS3 will not work with a universal remote, unless you add an expensive or gimpy add-on.  I bought a PS3 for $300 last year exclusively for BD playback.  If I had to make the same decision today, with the players available, I would have selected a stand alone.

Quote from: Bebop;52624BB is not as popular as Netflix. I'm getting the latest Blu-ray within a day or two in the mail after the release.
I've been getting new releases regularly on the Wednesday of the week they're available through Blockbuster Online.  I have no complaints about their service, and they don't charge a scammy Blu-ray fee.

Scott

CrashCamomilli

When compared with the current generation of players, I no longer believe this to be true.

Although it still has an edge against early players with its ability to be updated, there are many players on the market now that can have new firmware uploaded.  

This and the fact that although it has solid video performance, it has had fairly lackluster audio performance when compared to nearly any newer stand-alone player and most of the early ones

Bebop

Name a player that's better than the PS3, in term of video quality and responds?

I still have a 5.1 audio set, can't compare there.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Bebop

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;52635Why, because you own it? Can you be more specific?

I just got the new panasonic. The PQ is the same as the PS3. In term of response time,  it's day and night between those 2. The PS3 is much faster.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

Ralph Kramden

Quote from: Bebop;52652I just got the new panasonic. The PQ is the same as the PS3. In term of response time,  it's day and night between those 2. The PS3 is much faster.

Did you get the BD60? That's the one I'm probably going to buy, but I've read so many posts about randon freezeups. Panasonic is supposedly trying to figure out the problem, and solve it in a firmware upgrade.

gparris

I have the BD35, it is great, then I got the BD60 for my other HDTV setup, no regrets.
While the BD60 loads faster than the older BD10A I sold to replace it, but not as fast as the PS3 I replaced it with (after I sold the BD10A)- it does fit on my glass shelf HT rack setup without the need for a support beam or breathing area like the PS3 did.
Also, my universal remote is IR, so no modification was required as was the case for the PS3 which is RF only, just code up the remote and its done (for the BD60).

As for freezing, I had a bad disc once, so it wasn't the unit, so the freezing up has been exaggerated - my BD35 works perfectly, too, these are solid performers.:D

The fact that we are discussing BD players is a sign that these are being bought, something maybe we wouldn't have been doing a year or so ago, keeping with the thread.;)

Ralph Kramden

Thanks gparris. I don't care about the load time because it'll be ready by the time my projector is anyway.

Bebop

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;52655Did you get the BD60? That's the one I'm probably going to buy, but I've read so many posts about randon freezeups. Panasonic is supposedly trying to figure out the problem, and solve it in a firmware upgrade.

Yes, the same model.

I have not experienced any freeze. I did upgraded to the latest firmware at the start.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

gparris

Quote from: Ralph Kramden;52658Thanks gparris. I don't care about the load time because it'll be ready by the time my projector is anyway.

Blu-ray is perfect for HDTVs if the viewing distance is about 1.5 -2x the screen diagonal, IMO and excellent for those with front projection systems.

-FYI, today I updated the Blu-ray Player listings in this forum's area.

vegasvic

I agree that load times don't matter a bit.  I'm watching a 2 hour movie so an extra few seconds is not a big deal, I don't even notice it.  It's not like you're changing discs every 5 minutes.  I got a blu-ray on Black Friday last year (Direct from Sony, great online deal).  I love it.   When Red Box starts getting more blu-ray that will be great.

klwillis45

Quote from: vegasvic;52678I agree that load times don't matter a bit.  I'm watching a 2 hour movie so an extra few seconds is not a big deal, I don't even notice it.  It's not like you're changing discs every 5 minutes.  I got a blu-ray on Black Friday last year (Direct from Sony, great online deal).  I love it.   When Red Box starts getting more blu-ray that will be great.
I'm with ya on everything here including that BDP-S350 deal.