• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WITI - Seinfeld in HD?

Started by SRW1000, Monday Jul 06, 2009, 10:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

Just as a comparison, here's a screen capture from nearly the same scene as the above promo shot:

Although this isn't a perfect comparison, notice the different framing, and that the HD image has more detail and less noise.  The promo may also be down-converted from the HD material, rather than an SD clip.

HD does make a difference, but it's not a striking as some other material.  It's still an upgrade, though.

Thanks, FOX6!

Scott

EmuZombie

It may be just me but seinfeld on tbs-hd seems slightly more clear.   What does everyone else think?

WITI6fan

Quote from: SRW1000;52730Oddly, the Seinfeld commercials aren't in HD.

Seeing as WITI's promotions department still shoots video on Betacams (Irrelevant to this discussion, yes, but worth noting), I doubt promotions is able to produce HD promos yet. That would likely come with HD news.

BK7725

In the last M Magazine West Edition, i saw a promo for Seinfeld in HD, but never was, until now!

LoadStar

Quote from: TPK;52715I'm still waiting for Star Trek the Next Generation to show up on my screen in HD...  I seem to recall hearing that the entire series was recorded with film...

It was, but there are other issues. For one, the effects were probably only done to SD resolution, and it would be ridiculously expensive to recreate all of them for HD. Second, the show may have been filmed, but framed for 4:3, meaning if they recut to 16:9, stuff like boom guys, other cameras, production marks, even parts off-set may suddenly be visible.

(And third, related with the framing issue, even if there is nothing production related suddenly visible, some of the producers/directors may have had a specific vision when they placed objects/people within the 4:3 frame. This is the problem with Buffy The Vampire Slayer; it was filmed as well, but Joss framed it for 4:3, and does NOT want it released in 16:9 form, because it would ruin many of these scenes.)