• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Ready for Another Subchannel for TMJ4-HD?

Started by Tom Snyder, Tuesday Jul 07, 2009, 06:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

Unless there is some last minute problem, "TheCoolTV" is scheduled to start airing Wednesday at 5:30 a.m. It will reside on 4.3.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Jack 1000

What types of programing will "Cool TV" show?  Will it be available on TWC?

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

SRW1000

kevbeck122

Hopefully it's similar to The Tube.. I kind of miss that channel.

klwillis45

Quote from: SRW1000;52725Here's a link:  thecooltv.com

More bandwidth stolen from HD.  :(
Then you won't like this either.

WPXE ION

It's like MTV, when MTV actually aired music instead of shows. :guitar:

WPXE ION

Quote from: klwillis45;52735Then you won't like this either.

Already on air in NYC and DC Mobile DTV press release

However, multiplexers can broadcast HD at 10-12Mbps leaving plenty of room for SD sub channels.

InsulinJunkie

Quote from: WPXE ION;52736It's like MTV, when MTV actually aired music instead of shows. :guitar:
I'm not big on subchannels generally, but what I've seen of 4.3, it's actually quite enjoyable (being a Gen-Xer and all).

SRW1000

Quote from: WPXE ION;52737However, multiplexers can broadcast HD at 10-12Mbps leaving plenty of room for SD sub channels.
Sure, as long as quality is unimportant.

More demanding material requires more bits.  As long as there isn't a lot of motion, or  fast transitions, 10Mbps may be adequate.  On the other hand, there are some local stations multicasting only a few SD content subchannels, and even some of that programming is occasionally highly-pixelated.

Scott

SRW1000

For anyone interested on the real-life effect of adding yet another subchannel, here are some reduced-sized screen captures from tonights programming:

Although I've resized these images, the pixelation shown is representative of the original broadcast, they're not resizing artifacts.

Sports programming will look worse.

Scott

troyriley

A. From what I saw the few times I turned to this music channel, it's not all that great. It seems to be mostly older music that is well past its prime. I'll keep checking back, hoping to see something more current. What's with all the TV channels and radio stations aimed at the older folks in our fair city? (Cool TV, MeTV, 97.3, 96.5, 102.9, etc.) Maybe I just caught it at a bad time.

2. The video quality is so lousy that it can't be taking up that much bandwidth from 4.1.

ddeerrff

A.  I agree it wasn't too good.  What do you mean by 'old'.  The two minutes I turned it on it sure wasn't running *my* kind of music - 50s, 60s, 70s.

2.  Video did appear to be from the 50s, 60s, 70s.  But in all fairness, it was probably the source material, not the bandwidth used. :rolleyes:

InsulinJunkie

Quote from: troyriley;52747A. From what I saw the few times I turned to this music channel, it's not all that great. It seems to be mostly older music that is well past its prime. I'll keep checking back, hoping to see something more current. What's with all the TV channels and radio stations aimed at the older folks in our fair city? (Cool TV, MeTV, 97.3, 96.5, 102.9, etc.)

We're talking about the market that created the classic rock format.

The classic rock/80s/retro type format has always been big in Milwaukee and there's always a number of outlets in that vein.  It's just good business.

And, yes, most of these videos didn't exactly look great PQ-wise even when they were new :)

wysiwyg

I've watched it on and off the past 2 days, and they are already replaying videos from yesterday and earlier today. Their library must be miniscule.

jeffski

works for me since  most music from past 15 years is pure garbage...I hope they don't play many rap 'music' videos either...talk about a waste of airtime if they do:bang: