• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

WITI - Seinfeld in HD?

Started by SRW1000, Monday Jul 06, 2009, 10:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

So, I was watching Seinfeld tonight, only paying half attention, and then I realized that it was being shown full screen.

Here's a screen capture:

The image definitely isn't stretched.  This show has been syndicated in HD for a while now.  Perhaps Fox 6 has the ability to broadcast syndicated HD content now?

Scott

SRW1000

Looking at the details this may not actually be in HD.  The details look soft, but that could be a result of the mastering process.

It's too late tonight, but I'll have to do some more checking on what this looks like on the stations that are broadcasting it in HD.

It does appear to be widescreen, and more than just zoomed.  On the three-line credit shots, there's still a buffer on the top and bottom of the screen.  I would think that if it were just zoomed they would almost be touching the top and bottom of the screen:

Resized for this post.

Scott

Bebop

If the Seinfeld shows were shot on tape, they would not be true HD.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

mrschimpf

Quote from: Bebop;52703If the Seinfeld shows were shot on tape, they would not be true HD.

They were filmed, so the masters were 16:9, more than HD-ready.

InsulinJunkie

Quote from: Bebop;52703If the Seinfeld shows were shot on tape, they would not be true HD.
35mm (so ~1.37 ratio; Sony went back to the original film for syndication in HD and did a crop job w/ redone credits, IIRC), but some of the early episodes are lost and only videotaped copies remain.

Chuck from FOX

You are correct - Seinfeld is now in HD.

C.

Bluto

Quote from: Chuck from FOX;52706You are correct - Seinfeld is now in HD.

C.

When do you make the switch?  This is kind of big news.  You guys should be shouting it from the rooftops.  Or, at least promoting it during the 10pm newscast. :)

beeper

Quote from: Bluto;52707This is kind of big news.

Yeah, if you're one of the handful of people that hasn't seen every episode of Seinfeld ten times.

The PQ is better than SD, but definitely not HD quality by today's standards.
It looks like zoomed 4:3 letterbox.

Bluto

Quote from: beeper;52708Yeah, if you're one of the handful of people that hasn't seen every episode of Seinfeld ten times.

The PQ is better than SD, but definitely not HD quality by today's standards.
It looks only slightly better than a 4:3 stretch.

I meant WITI's technical ability to broadcast HD syndication.

WPXE ION

Many shows in the Seinfeld era were shot on 16:9 film vs. tape, but only if the ratings justified it, and then were edited for 4:3 TV. This might be why the show looks "soft" compared to current HD Digital recording standards.

TPK

Quote from: WPXE ION;52713Many shows in the Seinfeld era were shot on 16:9 film vs. tape, but only if the ratings justified it, and then were edited for 4:3 TV. This might be why the show looks "soft" compared to current HD Digital recording standards.

When I first got my HD television I was shocked one day when I tuned to HDNet and saw Hogans Heros in high definition...  Wasn't that series from the 60's ??

I'm still waiting for Star Trek the Next Generation to show up on my screen in HD...  I seem to recall hearing that the entire series was recorded with film...

WPXE ION

Quote from: TPK;52715When I first got my HD television I was shocked one day when I tuned to HDNet and saw Hogans Heros in high definition...  Wasn't that series from the 60's ??

I'm still waiting for Star Trek the Next Generation to show up on my screen in HD...  I seem to recall hearing that the entire series was recorded with film...

My bad. I should have said once tape became the standard format, film was reserved for the most popular shows.

I would imagine most of the Star Trek shows were shot on film due to the popularity of the original series. Just a guess. I would imagine someone has to convert the film to HD media in order for it to show up on TVs around the country. Might be an expensive process now.

Chuck from FOX

This just started last night at 1035pm ... you guys saw the debut.  

C.

SRW1000

Quote from: Chuck from FOX;52721This just started last night at 1035pm ... you guys saw the debut.  

C.
Thanks for the confirmation, Chuck.

I agree with Bluto, you guys should be hyping this.  If not in the press, at least on TV spots and here in the forum.  There's even a news section here, just for such announcements.

Scott

SRW1000

Seinfeld commercials now note the change:

Also, some of the commercials during the show are in HD.

Oddly, the Seinfeld commercials aren't in HD.

Scott