• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC Digital Performance Really Sloooooooooow

Started by METROmilwaukee, Friday Sep 04, 2009, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

METROmilwaukee

I finally got my first box (tuner) from TWC integrated and activated. There should be no reason why it takes ~5 seconds for a channel to change. I've got some real viewing and usage adjustments to make now that we have been "upgraded." The rest of the software we are using via the tuner's User Interface is also very sloooooow.

Is there any way to cache or improve performance when interacting with the tuner they gave me?

Snard

Quote from: METROmilwaukee;53402I finally got my first box (tuner) from TWC integrated and activated. There should be no reason why it takes ~5 seconds for a channel to change. I've got some real viewing and usage adjustments to make now that we have been "upgraded." The rest of the software we are using via the tuner's User Interface is also very sloooooow.

Is there any way to cache or improve performance when interacting with the tuner they gave me?

It might not be just the box; your TV could be part of the delay. Some HDTVs take time to change resolutions when you change from a channel that is broadcasting 1080i vs. 720p vs 480 i/p. If you want to test this, change between two channels that are broadcasting at the same resolution (i.e. 504 and 512) and see how long the delay is. Now, change from channel 504 to 506, and see if the delay is the same.

If it's the same, I can't help you :( If it's different, you can minimize the delay by telling your cable box to always output in one resolution (i.e. 1080i), although this might not be desirable from a picture quality point of view on the 720p stations.

Anyone else have any better ideas?
- Mike Shawaluk

Samsung UN46D6000
Philips 40PFL4706/F7B

Now with Windows Media Center and HDHomeRun Prime!

uwgrad

Quote from: Snard;53404If you want to test this, change between two channels that are broadcasting at the same resolution (i.e. 504 and 512) and see how long the delay is. Now, change from channel 504 to 506, and see if the delay is the same.

You have a typo in your post.  504 and 512 are different resolutions.  

504 is 1080i
505 is 1080i
506 is 720p
510 is 1080i
512 is 720p

Quote from: METROmilwaukee;53402I finally got my first box (tuner) from TWC integrated and activated. There should be no reason why it takes ~5 seconds for a channel to change. I've got some real viewing and usage adjustments to make now that we have been "upgraded." The rest of the software we are using via the tuner's User Interface is also very sloooooow.

By tuner I'm guessing you are referring to a cable box.  Which box do you have?  Is it the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC? (emphasis on the "C" at the end)  If it is, this box is known to be slow.  What type of a connection do you have to your TV?  Is it Component or HDMI?  As Snard said though, if you are hooked up using HDMI and are changing resolutions, this will add even more time the channel change.

Jack 1000

What is the model of the box?  Is it a DVR?  Is it an HD box?

Two ways that might speed things along:

1.) Press Settings on your Remote and Find Channel Banner.  Set that to Medium, if on Slow, or set it to Fast if on Medium.  Press the prompt to Save the Changes.

2.) Next, if you have an HD set, sometimes on some boxes there can be about a 2-4 second delay while the box adjusts the resolution when changing from an SD channel to an HD channel.  To change this Go Under Settings and find Display, than Select the Output Resolution that matches the Output Resolution for your TV.  In HD, this can be either 720p or 1080i.

If you have an HD set, check your Owners Manual for the maximum resolution that your TV supports.  Than, DE-SELECT (remove the dots) from ALL the other resolutions EXCEPT the highest one that your TV supports.  Follow the prompt to make the change.

Allow Navigator about 15 seconds to change the resolution settings.  If it does not change, reboot your box.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

Rick_EE

If you went from an analog tuner to digital, digital is much slower.

The resolution chage would be the biggest delay, but some of it has to do with Mpg compression.  A base frame (an entire "lossles" frame) is sent and then the next few frames are just the changes.  You need to wait for the next base frame before the channel will tune.

METROmilwaukee

Great introduction to the circumstances fellas thank you; each bringing a different but relative point of consideration.

The TV is an older Sony Trinitro which only supports RCA interfaces and the cable box I refer to as the tuner is the Scientific Atlanta 3250HD. So all connections are coax from the cable box through the VCR to the TV using the RCA VCR Video Out to the TV for video and sound. This is as basic as it gets %-D

I've accessed more of the tuner's menu configuration settings and observe how I can respond to a couple of the suggestions here so yea, I have some tweaking here to do.