News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Gemstar/TV Guide Service After Analog Shutdown?

Started by SRW1000, Sunday Mar 02, 2008, 05:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRW1000

There have been a few discussions about this service in the past that mentioned ATSC data here and here, but since we're within a year of losing the analog version, it might be a good time to start a new thread just for the digital version.

On an AVS thread, a few users have had luck getting Gemstar VBI information from their local digital station, but it looks like it still might be in the testing phase.  I tried using his test method for 58-1 since CBS has announced a commitment to Gemstar, but I didn't have any luck.

Does anyone have any information about the future of this service for Milwaukee viewers?

Scott

cjucoder

I didn't have any luck either.  I've been watching this topic with interest since both my DVRs use this guide and very much hope to be able to keep a free guide service for DVRs going into the future.  AFAIK this is the only one, and I've been happy enough with it (we recently got guide data for 10-4 YAY!, but 36-1 info is still wrong much of the time BOO! Hope we get the ME station data soon!).

Both the current analog host channels my boxes use (6 for the old version the LG uses and 10 for the newer version the Sony uses) have been very reliable.  It sounds like we are lucky here compared to other parts of the country in that regard.

It gives me hope that the article Scott linked to said...
QuoteGemstar said will make its IPG available to more than 95% of U.S. households.
...but that article is almost a year old now.

So, yes, please chime in if anyone has information about our local availability of the digital flavor of this service.

mikeal21

Anyone have a clue why my clock is an hour behind? Or having same issues? It was fine til recently it went south. The guides loading fine when I reset it, but time is still an hour slow. Funny because the listing are an hour behind also, I get the News at 5 o'clock at 4 o'clock. Has right titles and everything but its kinda confusing???
I have a Sony hhd 500 with cablecard

Jimboy

Quote from: mikeal21;45426Anyone have a clue why my clock is an hour behind? Or having same issues? It was fine til recently it went south. The guides loading fine when I reset it, but time is still an hour slow. Funny because the listing are an hour behind also, I get the News at 5 o'clock at 4 o'clock. Has right titles and everything but its kinda confusing???
I have a Sony hhd 500 with cablecard

It's possible that your unit is hard coded to the old daylight savings time change. My UsDigital set-top box is doing the same thing.

mikeal21

I knew it wasn't hard coded because it corrected for DST already. But I got it to display correct time and guide settings. I think because I ran setup for the hundredth time, with twist. I reset zip code with another local zip, differnt than mine/previous. And after second reset it went to correct time. Now I have to set-up channel guide, that sucks but whatever, it works pretty good now. Hopefully the powers that be will keep it current.  It's only paid for itself recently, and I'd like it to run much, much longer.

SRW1000

We are now less than six months away from the analog shutoff date, and there hasn't been any information posted about what will happen to the Milwaukee market, so I'm bumping this thread.

Does anyone have any information about what's in store for us after 2/17/2009?

Something might have happened last week, since the guide on my HD DVR changed, adding some new stations.

Scott

cjucoder

Quote from: SRW1000;47722Something might have happened last week, since the guide on my HD DVR changed, adding some new stations.

Scott
Every once in a while I see new OTA stations, so I don't pay it any attention really.  I just go in and disable them from the active listings grid.  I guess I never associated that with any Gemstar NTSC -> ATSC changes.

But yeah, I would like to know any updated info too, so thanks for the bump.

SRW1000

Quote from: cjucoder;47739Every once in a while I see new OTA stations, so I don't pay it any attention really.  I just go in and disable them from the active listings grid.  I guess I never associated that with any Gemstar NTSC -> ATSC changes.

But yeah, I would like to know any updated info too, so thanks for the bump.
I've gotten new stations added periodically, but this time it was different.  Some out-of-market stations actually bumped my locals out of the guide.  I had to go through and reprogram almost all of them.

That's why I'm hoping it might be a sign of a new ATSC version of the guide, but it would be nice to know what the plan is.  The clock is ticking.

Scott

SRW1000

Has anyone had success with TV Guide listings since the switch to digital?

After last Friday, my guide data was spotty.  The host channel was still listed as analog 10, so I figured that it might be a good, but risky, idea to do a reset.

Big mistake.

since then, I've lost all listings.  Additionally, it doesn't look like my Sony is even pulling in any TV Guide data from 58.1, as it did before the shutoff.  I've tried a bunch of troubleshooting to try and get the channel lineup and guide back, but with no success.

Is anyone else having issues?

Scott