• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Fox 6 adds Sub-Channel 6.2

Started by John L, Tuesday Jun 16, 2009, 03:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John L

Fox 6 is now showing their Doppler 6000 Weather Radar 24/7 on 6-2.

-John L.:)

WITI6fan

I wouldn't be suprised to see them grab the local AccuWeather subchannel affiliation before WISN can get it.

On the bright side, at least it's not another WDJT subchannel!

SRW1000

Vince Condella posted a message on his Facebook page that this is not intended to be permanent feature, but people can enjoy it while is lasts.

I'm really getting tired of the HD stations adding subchannels.  The HD dream that so many of us have had is dying right before us.  Soon it will all just be a large, pixelated mess.

Sigh,

Scott

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: SRW1000;52364I'm really getting tired of the HD stations adding subchannels.  

Concurring opinion ... I am getting tired of re-scanning and then re-erasing 4.2, 30.1, 36.5, 6, 7, 8, 49.2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 30.1, 55.4, 58.4, 5, 63.1 and the analog garbage that still comes in.  

On my wish list is a TV that is smart enough to know if I've manually erased a channel it should not re-add it on re-scan.  

If that's too tough, how about a TV with a web interface for programming?  If my $100 VoIP ATA can have a web interface for programming, what is stopping TV makers from moving into the 21st century?

WITI6fan

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;52365If that's too tough, how about a TV with a web interface for programming?  If my $100 VoIP ATA can have a web interface for programming, what is stopping TV makers from moving into the 21st century?

I've heard that eventually, say, WTMJ's WX channel could be a item you could choose to show up on your TV, and that the data would be processed and generated by your TV. That would free up bandwith, but first TV companies have to figure out how to process it. Vierra and the services offered by U-verse are one step in the right direction, although those pull from the internet.

Vince also said on Facebook that this isn't going to be a weather channel. Maybe they'll launch something like KNBC's News Raw service. There isn't much left out there if it's not going to be weather.

John L

Quote from: ArgMeMatey;52365Concurring opinion ... I am getting tired of re-scanning and then re-erasing 4.2, 30.1, 36.5, 6, 7, 8, 49.2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 30.1, 55.4, 58.4, 5, 63.1 and the analog garbage that still comes in.  

On my wish list is a TV that is smart enough to know if I've manually erased a channel it should not re-add it on re-scan.  

If that's too tough, how about a TV with a web interface for programming?  If my $100 VoIP ATA can have a web interface for programming, what is stopping TV makers from moving into the 21st century?

I thought I had to rescan my Insignia DTV Converter when I got home. When I turned it on to 6-1 I went back and forth a bit between 6-1 and 10-1 and all of a sudden 6-2 popped right in and saved it.  Not sure how without scanning? Unless this thing has an autoscan feature I am unaware of.

-John L.

UncleMeat

Looks like TiVo handles the scanning for me, just has an alert in your menu area that tells you if a channel is added, deleted, changed.  Web based interface would be nice.  Clicking that stuff with a mouse is a lot less clumsy.

mrschimpf

Quote from: John L;52368I thought I had to rescan my Insignia DTV Converter when I got home. When I turned it on to 6-1 I went back and forth a bit between 6-1 and 10-1 and all of a sudden 6-2 popped right in and saved it.  Not sure how without scanning? Unless this thing has an autoscan feature I am unaware of.

-John L.

I have the same box so on Friday I did a manual add of channels (since I have Green Bay signals where I am that can be touchy, I preferred to just re-add the new 11 and 18 manually rather than a scan), and 4-3 just popped up right away, and three days later, so did 6-2. I think it reads the PSIP stream for new additional channels when a channel is tuned and then adds them to the channel map. It did the same thing for the 58-4 and 58-5 channels two weeks ago.

Nels Harvey

Wouldn't it be nice if four and six actually put clean program feeds on the sub channels when their main channel is garbaged up with weather nonsense?
Nels....
Retired TV Engineer
Resident, State of Mequon
Sharp 70" LCD, E* VIP 612 HD DVR,
40" Sony LCD, E* VIP 722K HD DVR.

Stanley Kritzik

What, you would deny "Storm Team 4" the right to mess up an HD program to tell us that nothing is happening?

How cruel.

Stan

WITI6fan

Quote from: Nels Harvey;52423Wouldn't it be nice if four and six actually put clean program feeds on the sub channels when their main channel is garbaged up with weather nonsense?

Wouldn't that make the picture on the HD channel worse, as the weather information doesn't move much (save for the local update and commercials)?

tbarney

The channel appears to be gone this morning. I turned it on just to see if all the rain was out of the area and now it looks like 4.3, nothing but color bars.

Tom Snyder

NOTE: I changed the Thread title from Faux to Fox. No pressure from Fox6...Just an editorial decision.
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Pattizb

I live in Mayville and do not receive weather, only colored bars as with 4.3.  

I can not receive 49, METV anymore.  Any suggestions?

tbarney

Quote from: Pattizb;52522I can not receive 49, METV anymore.  Any suggestions?

I think it is just a case of 49 being a lower power station. I'm in Germantown, so much closer to the city then you are, and I don't get 49.1 either.