• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Jungle Gym

Started by krauts, Thursday Mar 19, 2009, 07:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krauts

Hey All,

I am looking for a swing set for this spring. I was just wondering if anyone bought a kit recently, or built one or had one built. Any input would be great. I'm not looking for the 35k King Kong from Rainbow, but a modest set for my 4 year old.

Thanks

jreinardy

I looked around last year and decided on a basic kit from Menards, they seemed to be cheaper than everyone else.  The one I chose just has a small climbing wall up to a platform with slide, then a swing and rings on either side of the platform.  

They give you the hardware kit and a bill of material for the lumber, which you take to their yard and pick out the boards you want.  I thought this was an advantage vs. the boxed units with the lumber already inside. Total cost was less than $500.

Assembly took about 3 times the estimate in the book, the better part of 2 weekends for my wife and I but it was not that difficult.  I also took a small part of the money I saved by not going to Rainbow and bought a chop saw for the job, which help a lot!

Jim

steve053

Two years ago we looked around for a set and settled on this one from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=swingset

Started w/ the tower set, swing arm and slide.  That took a solid two days to assemble (me and my father-in-law, he helped for a day and a quarter).  It's all pre-cut cedar and very sturdy.  We bought the tunnel and rock climbing wall and stored it away for the next year as I was afraid that they would change models and I wouldn't be able to add on.  

It's a little more expensive than than the build it yourself kit that jreinardy has, but was better for our needs.  We like it because it's smaller than most of the play sets we saw.