News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

TWC - 8300 HD Channel Not Available Message

Started by faulkner, Monday Feb 23, 2009, 08:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faulkner

Hello TWC Engineers, I'm getting frustrated with the frequency that a new "Channel not available" error message is showing up on my 8300 HD boxes.  This problem happens during normal channel switching and to the DVR automation.  Why is this happenning, and why is it happeneing much more often thnow?  

The DVR log says this problem occurred 5 times in the past two weeks.  It happens most often to me on Friday evenings but also happens during the weekday daytime hours on the SciFi, TLC, ESPN2 and Science HD channels (my favs).  Sometimes within a couple minutes the problem clears and the channel is displayed, but other times I give up waiting and choose something else to watch or do.  

I found a couple posts that say regular cold reboots might fix the problem.  But this is a new problem (last couple months) for both of my HD boxes.  Is a weekly cold reboot really needed now, and is this the proper proceedure to follow?

a. Unplug power from the Explorer 8300 HD and wait at least 30 seconds.
b. While holding the front panel POWER button, plug power back in.
c. Keep Holding the Power Button until "boot" appears on front panel.

Thank You.

JeffreyC2007

just call twc and have them come out and look at it. ask for a credit while your at it.

When we first got twc we had problems like that on some of the hd channels....im not as technologically savvy as some of the other folks on this forum...but the cable guy basically replaced the cable running from the pole to the house...he said it may have been old wiring or a squirrel may have chewed through it...It worked and now we get all of our channels.

klwillis45

It's probably not your stuff.

http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8365

MLB Network and TLC HD are the 2 channels that give me fits most often.

JeffreyC2007

maybe...but i watch those channels religiously and they always work for us....i would call and have them come look at it just to be sure. better safe than sorry.

LoadStar

Agreed with JeffreyC2007. Based on my experience, the SDV channels are _heavily_ dependent on having good signal quality in both directions.

After the last tech visit in which they replaced the splitter in the apartment, and put improved connectors on the cable, the amount of times I saw the "Press A to retry" message has dramatically dropped.