• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Time Warner promoting "Basic Cable"

Started by UncleMeat, Monday Jan 05, 2009, 07:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffreyC2007

Quote from: bsquarewi;50858That's what I figured, but there was some discussion here too about TW sending out a truck to make sure there was a yellow filter or some such installed at the junction to make sure that all channels are filtered out if the customer is RR only.

wow...i hope they are not wasting precious fossil fuel just to drive to someone's house and prevent them from getting those terrible pq basic cable channels.lol

ArgMeMatey

Quote from: brewtownska;50856You'll find that if you cancel cable and just keep RR, you'll still have the High-def versions of the locals coming into the house in QAM form.  If you have a HDTV with a QAM tuner, or maybe a computer tuner that can decode QAM, it won't cost you anything else.

Now that is interesting.  Where (MHz) are they putting the QAM channels?  

I currently get Basic for a little under $18.  I called to see if they would give me the intro deal.  So far, the only answer I have is "no" so I am looking at OTA for digital and Dish Welcome Pack for $15 a month.  Lots of variables to sift through though.

brewtownska

To be honest, TWC has changed some of the channels around in the past, so I don't actually know what frequencies they are currently on - I haven't really needed to know anyway because my tuners usually remap them anyway.

If you do some searching for QAM on the forum, you might find a full list, but here is what I can remember off the top of my head:

85.5 (CBS)
85.12 (ABC)
116.1 (PBS-HD, though they may have changed channels on TWC)

I actually have 2 mappings of Fox on my TV, 0.506 and 6.1, but not sure what freq it is on.

Hope that gives you enough to go look for them - if your tuner is like my first one, it "found" all the encrypted and unencrypted channels...so I had to sift through the hundred unwatchable channels to find the few that were open.  Note that you'll also find the SD versions of some major networks, so make sure you check the signal info to make sure they're sending 1080i or 720p.
Mike B.
Sony 52W4100 LCD
Dish Network w/722 DVR
PS3, Xbox 360, Wii