• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Start Over starting

Started by klwillis45, Thursday Feb 19, 2009, 09:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klwillis45

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/tvradio/39818617.html

This is a nice feature but a better feature would be to my have SDV channels work consistently.

oz

I'd like whole-house DVR.  Will it ever happen on TWC?

klwillis45

Quote from: oz;50882I'd like whole-house DVR.  Will it ever happen on TWC?
Who knows? SciAtl does make a mutli-room 8300.

http://sciatl.com/products/consumers/new_explorer8300HDMR.htm

JeffreyC2007

Quote from: oz;50882I'd like whole-house DVR.  Will it ever happen on TWC?

I doubt it anytime soon here in the milwaukee twc division...those SA multiroom boxes have been around for a while.

nick3092

Quote from: JeffreyC2007;50884I doubt it anytime soon here in the milwaukee twc division...those SA multiroom boxes have been around for a while.

Plus I get the impression that TW is no longer rolling out new SA/Cisco boxes.  They have a partnership with Samsung now.

Jack 1000

Has anyone used Start Over yet?

So far, for channels that are using it (at least on my MDN box) it shows up as a quick prompt:

i.e. "Press SEL (select) to Start Over" after it leaves the screen, if you hit select, Start Over is the first prompt in the "Quick Clips" menu..  Hit select again and the box acts like it does when searching for an On Demand Movie before it plays.  (Incidentally, my On Demand wasn't working last night, so I figured that they were updating the boxes.)  Than it starts at the beginning of the show.

When you press Select, you get this Quick Clips menu. However, Start Over was NOT listed on about 3 or 4 channels yet where it was supposed to be even though the Quick Clips menu was present:  The other prompts you get are things like:

Add to Favorites
Show List
TWC Sports.

I have not tested this yet.  But here are Start Over's limitations AFAIK:

1.) It's only available on selected channels (about 20 here.)  If you don't see the prompt when you change channels, it's not on that channel, or in the case of the instance above with those 2-3 channels, is not available yet.

2.) Start Over is only available for the duration of a program in LIVE time.  

3.) Start Over cannot be used if DVR subscribers are recording a show or would be recording a show at the time Start Over is used.

4.) Start Over cannot be used to Fast Forward through commercials.  Not sure about the DVR rewind features.

5.) Start Over requires the approval of the host channel on which it is used. which may explain why there aren't as many channels that have it as people would anticipate.  TWC can not add Start Over to a channel without the station's permission.

6.) Start Over requires a minimum of Digital Cable Standard Service. (A Digital Cable box.)

I would like to see a list of the remaining participating Start Over Channels that we don't get in Wisconsin yet.  (There about 5-10 more.)  They will probably be "next."

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

JeffreyC2007

Yep i used it this morning on Cartoon Network & The Disney Channel.

It worked perfectly.  But i don't like that u can't FF through the commercials

The only thing is that it does now work on the HD channels...only the SD ones...which sucks!

duncantuna

Since you can't FF through commercials .. I'll never use it.  

The #1 reason I love my DVR is .. it gives me time, allows me to fit more into my day.  I don't invest 60 minutes in a show, I invest 43.  That lets me do something else with my life for 17 minutes.

Since I've had the DVR, I still remember taping a West Wing episode that refused to allow me to skip commercials.  That was one very painful hour.

nick3092

Quote from: duncantuna;50990Since you can't FF through commercials .. I'll never use it.  

I agree.  I'd rather they invested the time and money put into this into improving SDV stability, or tweaking Navigator, or more HD.

Andrew

I used to live in SC where TWC had this, the only time it was ever useful was if you just missed the beginning of a show, you could start over, and then return to the live broadcast at the first commercial break.

But not working on HD channels means its no longer useful like it was in 2006.

Jack 1000

They must be updating something.  Start Over has been removed from ALL of the Quick Clips menus that had it on my box.  Now, when you go to a channel it just says "Press SEL (Select) For Enhanced."  Anybody else have this issue?

Jack

Jack 1000

Quote from: Jack 1000;51167They must be updating something.  Start Over has been removed from ALL of the Quick Clips menus that had it on my box.  Now, when you go to a channel it just says "Press SEL (Select) For Enhanced."  Anybody else have this issue?

Jack

On my MDN box, which otherwise performs like a champ, Start Over has been removed from all the Enhanced Menus.  The Quick Clips options such as "Add to Favorites, DVR Show List, TWC Channel 32," are still in the menu, but Start Over, which used to be the first option when tuned to a Start Over Channel has been replaced with "For Enhanced, Press Sel" (Select)  Start Over is no longer listed in the menus.  While I never use it, I wanted to call attention to this, in case other customers may be having the same issue.  It has been this way since early March.

Jack

WITI6fan

Quote from: Jack 1000;52008On my MDN box, which otherwise performs like a champ, Start Over has been removed from all the Enhanced Menus.  The Quick Clips options such as "Add to Favorites, DVR Show List, TWC Channel 32," are still in the menu, but Start Over, which used to be the first option when tuned to a Start Over Channel has been replaced with "For Enhanced, Press Sel" (Select)  Start Over is no longer listed in the menus.  While I never use it, I wanted to call attention to this, in case other customers may be having the same issue.  It has been this way since early March.

Jack

Like that on all our boxes too.