• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

We spend a lot of money for

Started by Chinatown, Tuesday Feb 10, 2009, 10:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinatown

all these various providers that are supposed to WOW us, with all all of their unique offerings. Yet we complain when a new channel is announced that our particular service does not add.

You all know I'm right.

My point is, that we still are creatures of habit, even with all of the choices.

Anyway, once again, I am curious to know what your viewing habits are, on a weekly basis.

Mine are the following:

24, Scrubs, The Office, and 30 Rock, ( I would include Family Guy, but they haven't had any new episodes.)

Yes, that it...........all available on over the air channels.

I have 62  HD channels, including locals, and those 4 programs are all I watch on a regular basis.

OK, everyone, fess up, and share with us lists. I got a feeling they won't be much longer then mine.

RickNeff

Oh, I'll disagree. I stopped watching the major networks a long time ago. The only real exception is 24. (And NFL football) Personally, I'd rather watch the History Channel, Military Channel, Discovery Channel and NatGeo.

I may be the exception -- So be it.

RickNeff

Of course, I guess I should actually answer the request and post what shows I actually watch:

-Monk (USA HD -- Kind of a "major" network, I guess)
-The Universe (History HD)
-Dog Whisperer (NatGeo HD)
-South Park (when its oh-so-short seasons are on - Comedy Central)
-Mythbusters (Discovery HD)

That's about all I regularly watch. And none of it live -- It's all DVRed. (Again, NFL football being the exception.)

jeffski

24 and that's it.    

Guns don't kill terrorists,Jack Bauer does :D

murdoc

With the exception being live sporting events, there is nothing I watch that isn't available for download online a few hours later.  Makes that almost $90 D* bill even worse.  The only reason I still have it is to appease the wife.

Talos4

I think you'll be surprised at how long the list's will be.

OTA, FOX, Period, House, Bones, Fringe, AI :blush:  ABC for NASCAR. CBS Football.

Everything else OTA, next to nothing.

Discovery: Too numerous to list
NG:            Ditto
HDNET:      Ditto  
MGMHD      Ditto
SCIFI:        Ditto
HISTORY:   Ditto
SPEED:      Ditto
A&E:          Ditto
SCIENCE:  Ditto
Palladium   Not as much

You get the idea.

We're cutting costs too just like everyone else but, D* is not one of them. Cutting dinners out, lunch's out, Traveling, Reduced Sirius from 6 radio's to 2. No new toys for a while, cut up CC's and soon to be dropping the landline.

We've become real homebodies and that's OK, TV, DVD's, 360 netflix and music are our entertainment.

We feel the expense of D*, XBOX Gold and netflix is well spent for our needs.

ArgMeMatey

12 Lost (1 hour)
36 News Hour, Charlie Rose (about 5)
10 This Old House Hour (1)
4-58-12 10 PM news (15 min * 6 = about 1.5 Hr.)

Total 8.5 hrs. weekly

I used to watch Scrubs for about six months 3 years ago until I had seen most or all of them.  Now I need to get into the rotation to watch the newer ones.

basshive

I am almost afraid to post our viewing habits! Like Talos noted we are feeling the crunch and cutting corners all over, DirecTV however is not being changed. We go out maybe once a month, otherwise we are homebodies and the living room and the entertainment services in it provide us with a wealth of enjoyment. We rarely watch anything live because we have kids running around all over and wait until 8:30 or 9 to really watch anything.

Sirius was cancelled this past weekend. Landline via Vonage cancelled last month. Lunch @ work now consists of various Chunky soups etc. I am amazed at all the areas we can trim and adjust and still be ok.

Info - DirecTV Premium Package (this may change as I am seeking a solution for watching some of the shows on HBO, ShowTime via NetFlix maybe?). It is a little frustrating when I see the list and realize that when it is all said and done, outside of locals our active viewing is on such a small number of channels. I do however surf around and find different stuff to watch all the time so not sure I would ditch them all just yet. Basically I need locals, and a Discovery Networks viewing package to survive :)

Keep in mind this is a culmination of our family viewing and that it will vary based on seasons. I know I will miss a few and god knows I am sure there are some other shows the kids watch. There are many random things we watch but these seem to be in our rotation year in and year out.

Via Locals -

The Office - NBC HD
30 Rock - NBC HD
CSI - CBS HD
CSI-NY - CBS HD
Worst Week - CBS HD
Big Bang Theory - CBS HD
Survivor - CBS HD
Amazing Race - CBS HD
Football - Fox, CBS, NBC HD
Fringe - FOX HD
Lost - ABC HD
Hells Kitchen - FOX HD
Kitchen Nightmares - FOX HD

Non-Locals

Battlestar Galactica - SCI-FI HD
Mythbusters - Discovery HD
Man Vs. Wild - Discovery HD
Little People Big World - TLC HD
John & Kate Plus 8 - TLD HD
NFL Total Access - NFL HD
True Life - MTV HD
iCarly - Nick HD
Drake & josh - Nick HD
Spongebob Squarepants - Seems to be on every kids channels we have at some point!
Wow Wow Wubzi - ?!?!
Brotherhood - Showtime HD
Weeds - Showtime HD
Focus Earth with Bob W. - Planet Green HD
Sony KDF-60XS955 - Living Room
Samsung LN32A450 - Master Bedroom
Samsung BDP-1600
Samsung DVD-HD850
DirecTV HR-21
DirecTV H-20
DirecTV R-22
DirecTV R-15
DirecTV Packers Remote RC64RB
Sling Media Slingbox AV - SB240-100
Yamaha YSP-900BL Digital Sound Projector Home Theater Speaker System
AppleTV
Microsoft XBOX 360
Harmony Advanced Universal Remote for Xbox 360

Tom Snyder

I'm realizing I watch WAAAAAY too much TV! Thank goodness for my DVR, because fast forwarding through the commercials makes it easy to watch even more!

Shows we never miss, but NEVER watch live, always watch DVR'ed:
24 - Fox HD
The Mentalist - CBS HD
American Idol - Fox HD
The Office - NBC HD and TBS HD
Lost - ABC HD
Survivor - CBS HD
CSI - CBS HD
Dog Whisperer - Nat Geo HD
Big Love - HBO
Packer Games

Shows we record and watch if we have time and interest
Leno - NBC HD
Letterman - CBS HD
Saturday Night Live - NBC HD
Gardening by the Yard - HGTV
Chris Angel Mindfreak - A&E
Hannity - Fox News

Shows we almost always watch Live, but record in case we have to time shift
Fox Report with Sheperd Smith - Fox News
O'Reilly Factor - Fox News
Channel 4 10:00 News
CBS Sunday Morning
Channel 12 Morning News

Looking at this list, Besides CBS Sunday morning, the only shows we watch that aren't in HD are local news. But the other realization is that I'm paying for Showtime, and not watching anything on it... I think I just figured out my solution to the DirecTV price increase. :)
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

klwillis45

Thanks to the DVR revolution & having 2 kids under 3 at home my TV list is way too long to post. It does make that big bill easier to swallow when you get so much out of it though. TWC needs to get some boxes with larger hard drives.

Will

We're OTA only.  We don't watch anything live anymore, now that we have an OTA DVR.

Here's what we DVR and watch regularly:
NCIS
The Unit
Without a Trace
Chuck
This Old House / Ask TOH

We record / watch when we can:
Nova
Scientific American Frontier
Simpsons
Family Guy

Plus we record some shows for the kids, like Sesame Street, Curious George, etc.

I find there's plenty to watch on OTA, especially when you have an HD DVR!

gparris

Now all we do is watch what is recorded on the DVR, nothing live unless we have watched it all, mostly it gets cleaned (watched) up by the end of the week, plus some Blu-ray Discs that are either bought, rented or borrowed from friends.
TWC's Digital Standard plus HD package with HBOHD and ShowtimeHD works best for us, that way no one can say that that one or other one in the household has more to watch than the other does.
Now that TWC has added so many more HD channels, we always stay in the 500-TWC HD channel range, unless something is interesting on the BBC America channel (hope it becomes HD soon).
While our bill is a bit higher than some, we don't go out to the movies like we used to anymore nor eat out either, so the savings get passed on to the cable bill, which is a nice trade-off for us.:D

UncleMeat

I've gone from being a seeker of new/unique content to being somewhat tv-adverse.  I'm working/studying far too much to dedicate much time to TV.

Major network shows:
Chuck
How I Met Your Mother
Bones
My Name is Earl
The Office
Big Bang Theory

Sports:
NFL - any/all
FoxSports - Brewers games

Cable/other network shows:
Austin City Limits