• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

More turning to Web to watch TV, movies

Started by RLJSlick, Friday Feb 06, 2009, 11:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLJSlick

Ricky
http://rljslick.smugmug.com/
Samsung HL-T61176S DLP Projection
Toshiba 30HFX84 30"
Denon AVR-1804/884 6.1 Surround
Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A20KU HD-DVD
Polk RM6700/PSW303 Sound System

Bebop

Now we all know why the broadbands are being capped.

I dropped DirecTV. I can get most of the same contents for a lot less. :)

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

GBK

Quote from: Bebop;50593Now we all know why the broadbands are being capped.

I dropped DirecTV. I can get most of the same contents for a lot less. :)

Unless we vote with our wallets when those caps are implemented and leave.. your lower cost won't be lower for long.

Bebop

Broadband is not the only way to get your programs. Most programs shown on Cable or Sat will be on Blu-ray  or DVD. It's still much cheaper to rent them and only watch what you like.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

SRW1000

Quote from: Bebop;50615Broadband is not the only way to get your programs. Most programs shown on Cable or Sat will be on Blu-ray  or DVD. It's still much cheaper to rent them and only watch what you like.
The negative in this strategy is having to wait.  It sucks when your friends want to discuss the latest episode of (insert name of favorite series here) and you have tell them that you're waiting for it to come out on disc.

I've been contemplating dropping my Dish service for a few months now.  The horrible quality of the SD stations isn't much different than Hulu.  And between renting movies and the high-quality OTA programming available, there just isn't that much time left for other viewing anyway.

It certainly seems like the way entertainment is distributed is going to change dramatically over the next decade.  Let's hope that video providers do a better job of planning that transition than the record companies did.  They waited too long before acting and ended up hurting their own products as a black market developed to fill the void.

Scott

Bebop

Actually, the 480P Hulu shows are pretty good. I re-watched some of the old Maverick shows.  They are certainly much better than the SD stuff on Sat or Cable.

When I looked at the recorded shows on my DVR, 90% were from OTA. That is another reason I dropped DirecTV.  I was going to get a Mac Mini to use as a DVR. Now I found software that will stream from my desktop Mac to the PS3. That saved me some money.

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun