News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Any TWC STBs with HDMI?

Started by rickules61, Friday Jan 09, 2009, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickules61

Hi all,
Is there such a thing as a TWC provided STB that has a working HDMI output that isn't a DVR?

Thanks,

Rick

skier8734

I use the SA 4250HDC with hdmi with no problems, when I first got the box it had problems staying in 720 or 1080 but that has been fixed with a software update.

Mark Strube

If you get one that has DVI, a DVI to HDMI cable is a very common thing, and it doesn't change the digital signal one bit. (However, it then won't be able to carry sound, like a full HDMI cable would.)

http://www.ebuyhd.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&style=

rickules61

After a bit of research (and looking at the back of my STB) it indeed does have a DVI output. I didn't realise that there are DVI to HDMI adapters/cables. But is this DVI out on my Scientific Atlanta "EXPLORER 3250HD" actually supported by TWC? I fired off an email to them but assume it will be a while before I get a reply, (if ever).

Anyway, the main reason I want to do this is to free up one of the two component inputs on my Toshiba 42HP95 HDTV. I currently have the STB going into one and my Philips progressive-scan DVD player into the other.

As a Christmas gift I received a PSP and would like to play games on the HDTV but I know that composite cables can't do it. I have looked at component splitters but it seems they will just degrade the signals and the component amps I've looked at aren't worth the money just for playing a PSP videogame.

Anyway, does anyone think that the DVI to HDMI cable thing will work?

Rick

Northern Fringe

Rick-  I had this STB, and the DVI output worked well.  Additionally, I ran my digital audio out through the box's optical audio output.  Right now, I am with Charter and their STB only has an HDMI out.  I use a HDMI to DVI cable and it works very well for my DVI-equipped TV.  I would think that the cable would work well going in reverse, too.  As far as purchasing one, look online.  The prices vary widely, but you can find some good deals if you search around.

nick3092

I don't know about prices locally, but I tend to use monoprice.com for cables and adapters.  They have a DVI-D to HDMI converter for like $4.95 with shipping (USPS).  I tend to hook up a lot of a/v stuff for friends and family, so every time I order from there, I usually pick up a few extra cables, of whatever type I'm low on.

skier8734

You could also just take your box back to twc and say you want a newer model, I believe they should swap it out for you no problem.

Mark Strube

Quote from: nick3092;50054I don't know about prices locally, but I tend to use monoprice.com for cables and adapters.  They have a DVI-D to HDMI converter for like $4.95 with shipping (USPS).  I tend to hook up a lot of a/v stuff for friends and family, so every time I order from there, I usually pick up a few extra cables, of whatever type I'm low on.

The site I linked to is the same thing as Monoprice, but its ads support this site. So, go there. :)

//www.ebuyhd.com

nick3092

Quote from: Mark Strube;50056The site I linked to is the same thing as Monoprice, but its ads support this site. So, go there. :)

//www.ebuyhd.com

I completely missed you posted a link earlier in the thread.  I'll check them out next time I'm looking for some cables.

Update:
Woah, that site is literally exactly like monoprice.  Parts, prices, the website itself, everything.  In fact, It's hard to tell, but it looks like all the photos there have the monoprice watermark on them.  That seems kind of odd.  I looked them up on a whois, and they seem to be hiding something:

Registrant:
  Domain Privacy Group, Inc.
  c/o ebuyhd.com,
  5160 Yonge St. Suite 1800
  Toronto, ON M2N 6L9
  CA

If you look up monoprice, they don't hide their whois info.  Either way, it would seem they are in fact one in the same based on what I see.

rickules61

Thanks for all the input.

I bought a DVI to HDMI cable from Amazon for $10 that works great.
Also got for $13 a cable to play my PSP on the HDTV. Works as advertised.
All I need now is an optical cable to connect the STB to my Sony receiver.

TWC finally replied to my email and said I can exchange my SA3250HD for a SA8300HD STB but I'm happy with my current rig.

Thanks again,

R.

Danno321

Quote from: rickules61;49992Hi all,
Is there such a thing as a TWC provided STB that has a working HDMI output that isn't a DVR?

Thanks,

Rick

My friend has the new TWC non-DVR Samsung STB connected to his Plasma via HDMI.

nick3092

Quote from: Danno321;50280My friend has the new TWC non-DVR Samsung STB connected to his Plasma via HDMI.

Is that the 3050?  Have you seen it in action?  If so, how would you compare the performance of the box/guide to your 8300HDC?

Danno321

Quote from: nick3092;50300Is that the 3050?  Have you seen it in action?  If so, how would you compare the performance of the box/guide to your 8300HDC?

No, I haven't.  He hasn't complained about it though.