• Welcome to Milwaukee HDTV User Group.

News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Thought he had a buyer... got a burglar instead

Started by Tom Snyder, Tuesday Jan 06, 2009, 07:23:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Steve Mann

Quote from: Tom Snyder;49942Be careful out there...

Scary stuff for sure. I just sold an item via Craigslist about two weeks ago and had the buyer to the house. Fortunately, everything went as expected, but it sure does make you think. I think the advice mentioned in the piece about meeting at a neutral location is great advice if at all possible.
Steve M. Mann
Panasonic AX200U Projector
Carada 126" 16:9 Fixed Screen
1 - HR20-100 DirecTV HD PVR
1 - HR24-500 DirecTV HD PVR
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

LowSignal

I just bought a 46" sony LCD off craigslist............

UncleMeat

I've sold a few local pickup items on ebay as well as several on craigslist.  I've always met the buyers.  Rule of thumb is never have a stranger come to your house, don't go to theirs.  I generally meet right after work in a parking lot for a place like Applebees, Chilis, etc; where there will be lots of people coming in and out.  Never meet at a place close to home, because if the person is up to no good they can easily follow you.  If you are really paranoid, go run a few errands after doing your transaction.

Tom Snyder

QuoteI just bought a 46" sony LCD off craigslist
Um, got a receipt for that TV? :rof:
Tom Snyder
Administrator and Webmaster for milwaukeehdtv.org
tsnyder@milwaukeehdtv.org

Xizer

I never understood people who keep their HDTVs chillin' in front of a wide open window. That's just begging to get robbed.

Mine never leaves the dark safety of the basement :P

Bebop

Panasonic TH-50PX60U
Panasonic TH-42PZ85U
HDHomeRun

LowSignal

Yeah that guy got robbed the bad side of beacher st, I know someone who had their grandmother kicked off a bike and robber over there. I like to meet at Leon's ice cream over on 27th & oklahoma. It's a busy public area (even in the winter LOL), you can get change if need be and You can always celebrate a safe transaction with a delicious sweet treat afterward. Hey you can either get robbed by someone face to face or get robbed by faceless corporate Paypal and Ebay.