News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

MY NETWORK 24-1 bad decoder and audio problems

Started by atigod, Wednesday Jan 14, 2009, 01:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atigod

I receive MY NETWORK via OTA through my Tivo HD, and have 98 or 100% signal strength, and the channels been having decoder video problems, and audio problems more than any other OTA channel. IT happens the most on prime time HD programing a couple times a week, WWE Friday Night Smackdown has had the decoder problem that's been talked about here, where the bottom of the screen has a row of pixelation, with is almost unwatchable. Sometimes the audio will have a nothing but a 2min static for sound, and I play it loud, so when the static came on, it almost damaged my speakers. But the last straw, was when a entire episode of WWE Smackdown had  audio static through the entire episode, it sounded like a rattle snake in the backround! Iv never had any, I mean any problems when Smackdown was on CW, no technical problems at all and it was in 1080i to boot, with some of the best picture and sound iv seen. I understand that MY NETWORK is owned by FOX, but FOX 6-1 is perfect with no picture and sound problems for HD, it looks and sounds much better than MY NETWORK for HD, but how can that be, if there owned by the same company? What MY NETWORK got shafted!!! I know that some engineers from MY NETWORK POST here, so could you please tell or explain the technical problems with the channel, and anything that can help. Don't get me wrong, Im grateful I evan get the channel, I am, but its a shame that one of my favorite shows I love, WWE Smackdown I have to deal with all these audio and decoding problems,  Please is there anything the MY NETWORK engineers can do? or is there anything I can do?  

THANK YOU

Jimboy

Do a little research first.... http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8299
http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8235

How recent have you heard the audio problem. The offending piece of audio equipment was removed
12-10-08.    

As far as video quality goes each network feed (CW & MyNet) go through the exact same make/model/type of equipment for each station. The difference you see is what is being sent to the affiliate. The low bit-rate looking horizontal band of crappy video is a problem I'm currently trying to resolve. I'd rather not crash our air during primetime.

Anyone else hearing or seeing problems "right now" with Up-converted or MyNet material?

atigod

I did do research on here and read the audio post and decoder problems first before I posted, how else would I know its the decoder, some of my recordings were dated around the time you fixed the audio, but I hear static here and there on smackdown and its not the show its the channel. and its impossible that CW and MY NETWORK use the same equipment, evan put the 720p vs 1080i aside, MY NETWORKS video quality is a step down compared to CW, and mynetwork dosesnt evan have the quality of Fox on there HD programing. Smackdown on CW was a Sharp as hell 1080i clear as day reference quality, and it never had problems,  now in 720p down converted from its original 1080i, and the show looks out of focus, sometimes blurry, evan the WWE HD logo is blurry, so they cant use the same equipment, if you are a fan of WWE and seen it on CW and now my network, there is a big difference. im not trying to complain but, when I had it soo good to see smackdown on CW the best WWE has ever looked, and then have it go to my network and have worse picture quality, and now having decoder problems and audio problems, CW never had a problem airing smackdown all year. if they use the same equipment, then it must be damaged or something else is wrong, again thanks for caring and replying

atigod

maybe the worse picture quality problem could be your video scaler, it would explain why its blurry, the WWE cameras shoot at native 1080i and CW displayed a 1080i signal, MY network takes the 1080i and down converts it to 720p, could that cause problems? if you know please tell me, id really like to know, all this just bugs me sometimes. any input is good thank you

Jimboy

Sorry....the equipment I refer to is at the station level. Each path to each transmitter is identical with the equipment used. So the video quality from the HD feed is based on what the network sends us. If you have any issues with the network feeds I suggest you contact them.

The static problem (caused by our end) has been corrected. There have been no further issues.
I will record this Friday's program. If you are still hearing it give me a time frame of when it is occurring and I'll check my recording to confirm.

Jimboy

Quote from: atigod;50072maybe the worse picture quality problem could be your video scaler, it would explain why its blurry, the WWE cameras shoot at native 1080i and CW displayed a 1080i signal, MY network takes the 1080i and down converts it to 720p, could that cause problems? if you know please tell me, id really like to know, all this just bugs me sometimes. any input is good thank you

We do not own a video scaler. We are not the Network. We are the local affiliate and have no control over what the network does with it's video. The video is sent to us as 720p from the network.

WITI6fan

Edit: I take too long to write posts. :rolleyes:

atigod

Quote from: Jimboy;50075We do not own a video scaler. We are not the Network. We are the local affiliate and have no control over what the network does with it's video. The video is sent to us as 720p from the network.

do you know who I can contact, I emailed mynetwork on there site and got no reply, is there any other way to contact them, they are owned by FOX correct?, and thank you, you been very helpful

Jimboy

Quote from: atigod;50072maybe the worse picture quality problem could be your video scaler, it would explain why its blurry, the WWE cameras shoot at native 1080i and CW displayed a 1080i signal, MY network takes the 1080i and down converts it to 720p, could that cause problems? if you know please tell me, id really like to know, all this just bugs me sometimes. any input is good thank you

We currently do not own a video scaler or cross converter.  We receive a 720p satellite feed from the network and pass it through our system and transmitter to your home. What you see is what we are sent. If there is any cross converting going on it's at the WWE production or FOX network level.

Anyone know how the other WWE productions are sent on USA and SCi-Fi?  1080i or 720p?

atigod

usa HD 1080i , sci fi 1080i and look sharper than my networks and there more compressed channels

atigod

Quote from: Jimboy;50078We currently do not own a video scaler or cross converter.  We receive a 720p satellite feed from the network and pass it through our system and transmitter to your home. What you see is what we are sent. If there is any cross converting going on it's at the WWE production or FOX network level.

Anyone know how the other WWE productions are sent on USA and SCi-Fi?  1080i or 720p?

how come evan the my network side blue bars are blurry when not showing hd content, how can My network affect that, what they send you is the quality I understand that, but the overall picture seems like it a local broadcast problem

Jimboy

Quote from: atigod;50080how come evan the my network side blue bars are blurry when not showing hd content, how can My network affect that, what they send you is the quality I understand that, but the overall picture seems like it a local broadcast problem

Perhaps the difference between 720p & 1080i?

I could swap out all of our equipment from CW18 and install it on My24 and I assure you it would look the same.

atigod

well if it helps I have a sony sxrd 60 in 1080p hdtv through hdmi, I tried 3 tuners on this channel, my tivo hdxl my directv hr21, and through the tv tuner

Jimboy

Quote from: atigod;50082well if it helps I have a sony sxrd 60 in 1080p hdtv through hdmi, I tried 3 tuners on this channel, my tivo hdxl my directv hr21, and through the tv tuner

KDS-60A3000? I've got the same set. Looks fine here.

But I will concur that a visual difference does exist between 720p & 1080i.

atigod

my biggest concern is the quality of the networks equipment, having the decoder problem being the worst, you said your trying to resolve it, thats great, it just seems they dont give you guys enough money for your local broadcast to fund new  equipment. again I appreciate  everything you guys are doing to make the  local broadcast better,