News:

If your having any issues logging in, please email admin@milwaukeehdtv.org with your user name, and we'll get you fixed up!

Main Menu

Enhanced TV on TW Cable??

Started by nick3092, Wednesday Jan 14, 2009, 06:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick3092

I just turned on comedy central to watch Scrubs, and when I tuned the channel, above my info banner was a message "for Enhanced Press SEL".  :huh?:  So I did, and it brings up a little box in the upper left hand corner of the screen.  It says Enhanced TV twice in the title bar, then a menu below it that only has two options, DVR Show List and Exit.

Anyone else seen this or know what it is?  I tuned down a channel to GAC and it wasn't there, tuned back to Comedy Central and it was there again.  Tuned up to Sci Fi, it was there.  Tuned up to Nick, and it was gone.

I've been skimming channels, and more have it.  MTV, VHI, Spike, Tru, Fox News but there are some that don't, like GAC or CNBC.

nick3092

Hmm, dig around on the internet long enough, and you can find almost any answer.  I found this in their 2007 annual report.  So, since it's on a ton of channels, could that mean these services will be available soon?

Enhanced TV services. TWC is expanding the use of VOD technology to introduce additional enhancements to the video experience. For instance, TWC has launched Start Over TM ,which allows digital video subscribers using a TWC-provided set-top box to restart select "in progress" programs airing on participating cable networks and broadcast stations directly from the relevant channel, without the ability to fast-forward through commercials. TWC received an Emmy TM award in 2007 for its Start Over service. Start Over was available to over one million digital video subscribers as of December 31, 2007, and TWC expects to continue to roll out Start Over in 2008. TWC has begun rolling out other Enhanced TV features such as Look Back TM , which utilizes the Start Over technology to allow viewing of previously aired programs, and Quick Clips TM , which allows customers to view short-form content tied to the cable network or broadcast station then being watched. TWC is also working to make available Catch Up, which will allow customers to view previously aired programs they have missed.

Jack 1000

Currently,

These stations are available on a per channel participation basis.  When Start Over and Quick Clips come to the Milwaukee areas, these enhanced menus will include features such as this on participating stations.  (It's up to the station to determine what enhanced services they offer.)  Currently, our TV Land, channel 61 has the most enhanced options.  There are currently about 30-50 stations depending on market participation that are using the Enhanced TV Menu technology.

It's a Quick Menu shortcut on some channels.

Milwaukee got it with the upgrade to Navigator 3.

Jack
Cisco 9865 DVR with Navigator Guide

cdnelson

Has anybody found a way to shut it off?  It's mostly useless right now, other than covering up a good portion of the screen 3-4 times during a 1/2 hour show.